12. The Hydra Funeral

-February 2015-

The rest of the year had passed. Jessie had returned back to D.C. with Bucky and Steve. They were given the option to stay longer, but turned it down with the fact of having to check up on the apartment and friends. The three had left New York a week after Tony's New Years party. Steve had done some catching up with Sharon and Sam, and visited Peggy a few times. Bucky had gotten his hair cut by Jessie when she was bored and decided he got a haircut for the new year. Today, Jessie had decided to pay Peggy a visit with Steve and Bucky. She had recently been moved to George Washington University Hospital due to her illness. They sat next to her bed as they engaged in a conversation. Peggy took Bucky's hand and squeezed it as she began speaking to him.

"Promise to take good care of Jessie, she'll need it," Peggy spoke as she smiled to Bucky. He gave her a small smile.

"I will, I promise," he replied looking from the elder to Jessie. Jessie gently took Peggy's hand.

"Watch over Sharon for me, all three of you. I really don't know how much longer I have.."

"As you wish," Jessie whispered with a sad smile. Tears began to blind her sight as they built up in her eyes. Steve wrapped his arm around her shoulder pulling her into a side hug. Jessie sighed before she said a quick prayer in Russian.

"Посмотрите, мы молим Тебя, Господи,

Рабы твоей Пегги

слабость

И обновить душу, создана

Для этой критики, внесенными

Сам ваше исцеление

Через Христа, Господа нашего

Кто живет и царствует

Навсегда

Аминь."

"I'm not even going to ask what she just said," Steve said looking to Peggy and Bucky who began to laugh. Jessie let out a small laugh. After a few minutes, Steve and Bucky went to the hospital cafeteria to get something to eat leaving Jessie with Peggy. Jessie had her head resting on the bed while taking a small nap as she still held Peggy's hand. The bedridden woman's breathing began to get heavy. Jessie noticed when she heard Peggy begin to cough, waking her up. The 29-year-old got out of her chair and grabbed a glass pouring water into it from a pitcher. She held it out for Peggy who had begun to cease her coughing and look from the glass to Jessie. She smiled to Jessie, tears forming in her eyes. When she didn't take the glass, Jessie set it on the table before looking back to Peggy who took her hand in hers.

"Jessie, just remember that the most important thing in life is to be happy.. That's all I want for you, Steve and Bucky — to be happy." Jessie felt her knees begin to weaken. She dropped to them still holding Peggy's hand as the woman closed her eyes. Steve and Bucky later entered the room to see that the heart monitor was turned off and Jessie was sitting next to the hospital bed on the floor, her face buried in her hands. The blond Super Soldier looked to the deceased woman lying on the bed in a peaceful manner, thinking he was going to be sick. Bucky had no reaction only to walk out of the room and get the doctor informing him of the death. A few days later, a funeral was held. Peggy's family were there. Sam went with Steve, Jessie and Bucky, even the rest of the Avengers attended. The three World War II Veterans wore a U.S. army uniform as their attire. Sharon had spoken her eulogy. Jessie went up next, speaking for herself and Steve since the two knew Peggy the most. The Sergeant took a deep breath of air after she got up in front of everyone, flash cards in front of her as a script.

"Hello everyone, and, um, thank you for coming to Peggy's funeral," Jessie started saying. "I'm pretty sure you know of me, but if you don't, I am Sergeant Jessica Evans. I worked with Agent Peggy Carter for the S.S.R. during World War II. I am speaking for myself and Captain Steve Rogers.—" Another deep breath before continuing, "- I just want to say to her family that I am very sorry for your loss.. The only one I know is Sharon, but my heart goes out to the whole family." Jessie stopped and looked down at the cards and what was written like a script. The writing was neat, but with how overwhelmed she was, it looked like chicken-scratch, meaningless markings on paper. She turned the cards over, thinking of them as a ghost and not sitting in front of her. She took one last shaky breath before continuing.