10. Happy Birthday

-July-

The fourth of July. Independence day. Steve's birthday. For the past few days Tony and Bruce let Jessie take a break from working to help Pepper plan a party for Steve. Bucky stayed in the room Tony gave him after Jessie got back from the mission. Early in the morning while Steve was in the training room, Pepper and Jessie quickly began to set up. The theme was, obviously, red, white and blue. After Jessie and Pepper finished setting up for the party, Jessie went to get Steve. Since he was concentrated with his training, she did her best to annoy him. Steve put the weight down carefully before walking over to her, an annoyed look on his face.

“Okay, big guy, I didn’t want you to get upset,” Jessie spoke as she backed up before taking off in a run trying her best to get away from Steve. She got to the elevator quickly pressing the button but Steve got inside just before the doors closed. Steve began to attack Jessie with tickles. She squealed and fell as Steve tickled her, both of them laughing. The elevator made it to the main floor of the building, the doors opening. Steve did a double take as he looked into the room. Red, white and blue streamers hung from the ceiling along with a white banner with blue and red decorations saying Happy Birthday Steve! Steve walked into the room leaving a giggling Jessie lying on the floor trying to catch her breath from laughing so much.

“What the he-“ Steve began saying but was cut off by a group of people popping up from behind couches and chairs exclaiming “Happy birthday!” Steve’s eyes widened as he smiled. Jessie got up and walked over to him giving him a hug.

“Happy 96th birthday, soldier.”

“Thank you, Jess. Did you set this up?”

“With Pepper’s help, yes. You like it?”

“I love it.” Steve looked around to see Tony, Bruce, Pepper, Natasha, Sam, Bucky and Sharon. The party went as planned. Steve opened presents, they all had cake after the dinner Jessie put together. Steve felt and looked like a kid, excited to open the presents and eat cake. The cake looked like his shield, which was supposed to be as a joke. After eating cake and putting away any leftovers, fireworks began. Everyone was startled by the sudden boom until they saw the color in the air. Tony laughed when Steve ran out onto the balcony like a little kid. Everyone else followed except for Jessie and Bucky who stood inside.

"Мне жаль," Jessie spoke quietly. Bucky looked at her.

"What?"

"Мне жаль."

"For what?"

"Last month. It’s just, the memories rushed back a little too quickly." Bucky walked over to Jessie and pulled her into a hug.

"It's alright. I was never mad at you after that. I figured that was what happened... Even if I was never mad at you I forgive you."

“Thank you, Buck.” Jessie looked up into his eyes before she pressed her lips against Bucky’s. The lights from the fireworks illuminated off their faces. Outside on the balcony, Tony was looking around and noticed the two, pointing them out. Natasha, Sharon, Sam, and Pepper smiled and awed at the cuteness. Tony put a hand on Steve and Bruce’s shoulder.

“Our little girl’s grown up,” he joked pretending to cry. Jessie smiled into the kiss. Bucky’s arms snaked around her waist, holding her against him as if protecting her. The rest of the night went on to watching the fireworks.

-December-

December 16. It was Jessie’s birthday. She would be turning 29 biologically. She couldn’t remember when she or Bucky had a proper birthday while Steve had his 5 months ago. Pepper was in the other room setting up with Natasha who had stayed in New York for the five months since Steve’s birthday. Jessie was in the lab sitting on her desk, guitar in hand. Tony had gotten it for her as an early birthday present. Over the months of working with her, Tony and Bruce learned that she loved music and playing the guitar, often times writing down chords to songs she knew and loved on her notes. Also, she would occasionally start humming a tune. Since it was her birthday, and she was given the day off, she thought she could put her free time to good use. Jessie started off playing random chords, trying to get used to the feeling of playing them with a metal arm. Tony watched as she started playing ‘Saturn’ by Sleeping At Last, a song Pepper introduced to her a while back. Jessie began to quietly sing.