2. Like Old Times

It had been a week and a half since Jessie began helping her friend. She started with their childhood, through their teen years to during the war. Jessie told him about the Commandos, Peggy, Howard. Bucky had remembered, a guiltily admitted, to being behind Howards death which Jessie admitted was sad but made a mental note not to say anything to Tony. Jessie let Bucky meet Steve, without trying to kill him.

The time was around 5:30. Jessie decided to take a walk around the park, helping her clear her mind. About halfway, Jessie noticed a little girl talking to a man sitting on a bench. She couldn’t see his face since he wore a baseball cap. The girl was missing her left arm. Jessie smiled when she saw the girl take the man’s left hand in her small one. Jessie saw the silver metal of the man’s hand shine, realizing it was Bucky. He smiled. The girl’s mother informed her they were leaving. Bucky waved to her as she ran to her mother waving. The female Sergeant walked over to the bench, sitting next to the male.

“That was sweet,” she spoke softly with a smile.

“Actually makes me remember how much I wanted to get married and have kids,” Bucky stated. Jessie saw him smile a little as he looked at the ground. “Guess I hadn’t found the right partner.”

“You remember those intentions?”

“Faintly… I think I have an image of who I wanted to be with.”

“So what are you doing here at… 5:40?”

“I was, uh, just hanging out.”

“I know when you’re lying Bucky.” Bucky kept his eyes cast to the ground. “You can tell me the truth.”

“I… don’t have anywhere to go.”

“As in you don’t have a place to stay? Why didn’t you say something before?”

“I don’t want you to worry.”

“Look, you can stay with Steve and I tonight-“

“Jess-“

“Don’t say anything. You were always there to help us, now it’s our turn to be here to help you. Besides, we could always put the couch cushions on the floor like old times.”

“Alright.”