4. The Science Bros

Steve had gotten back home at noon. Jessie informed him about the call to Tony and they chose a day the three would go to New York. For the rest of the day, Jessie took Bucky to visit Peggy. The two went for a quick walk before heading home. After a week, Steve, Bucky and Jessie began packing and left for New York. When the three arrived at Stark Tower, they were greeted by Pepper who took them to the lab where Bruce and Tony where. Jessie greeted them with a hug.

“Snowflake!” Tony exclaimed as he gave Jessie a hug. “Good to see you again. Finally, the science bros are together again!”

“You too, Mr. Stark,” Jessie replied. Steve and Bucky stood with Pepper as they watched the three reunite.

“I’m just going to get back to work,” Pepper stated.

“Wait, Pep,” Tony began saying making Pepper halt, “Could you show the three icicles to their rooms after the Snowflake introduces me to frozen Sergeant 2? Then maybe we can get to work with you here, Jess.”

“Right,” Jessie spoke as she walked over to Bucky, grabbing his hand and pulling him over to Tony. “Stark, this is Bucky Barnes. Bucky, this is Tony, Howards son, and Doctor Bruce Banner.”

“Isn’t his name on the Wall of Valor at S.H.I.E.L.D.?” Pepper questioned making everyone look at her. “Which I know nothing about.”

“Nice to meet you,” Tony said shaking hands with Bucky. Afterwards, Pepper showed the three to their rooms, Steve having his own room and Jessie and Bucky having to share one across the hall.

“Don’t ask why Tony did this because I don’t even know why,” Pepper said before giving them a smile. “I hope you enjoy your time here.” She walked off letting the three get settled in their rooms. Jessie headed to the lab.

“Winter’s back,” Tony announced as Jessie walked into the room. Bruce looked up as Jessie opened her mouth to say something before shutting it. “Get it, cause she’s the Winter Patriot. How did you ever end up with that name? You’re Russian right? Why Patriot?”

“Uh, I was born in December and I live in America,” Jessie stated sarcastically.

“Wow, she’s been here for only, what? Twenty minutes? And she’s already becoming the smartass she was two years ago.”

“I think I’d rather not argue about that and get to work,” Bruce said with a sheepish smile.

“I will agree with Bruce,” Jessie stated. The three began to work, Tony explaining they needed to create a missile but not explaining the reason why. After a while, Tony broke the silence.

“So, the Winter Soldier,” he spoke. Jessie looked at him knowing he was hinting at something.

“What?” she asked.

“Bucky. The Winter Soldier. I knew I recognized him from somewhere. You do realize you’re harboring an assassin?”

“He’s my friend. He asked me to help him.”

“Wouldn’t it be better to help an assassin that you know didn’t almost kill you but killed one of your friends?”

“What do you mean?”

“Jess, you know damn well what I mean! That killer killed my parents!”

“Tony,” Bruce warned, but kept calm. “Is it really necessary to yell?” Tony looked at him.

“Well, at the moment it is just so then Jessie gets it in her head that she’s helping a cold hearted killer that killed their own friend.”

“I don’t get it,” Jessie spoke with her arms crossed over her chest. “You just can’t do or say anything without becoming a jerk. We haven’t even been here a day and you’re already acting like one. Bucky is my friend. The only other friend I will consider family. He has his memories. He’s carrying the weight of guilt on his shoulders for killing innocent people, like your parents, that were “threats” to Hydra. Look, Tony. I’m sorry you lost your parents, but I have lost people too. The world doesn’t revolve around you.” Tony stayed quiet and looked back to what he was working on.

“Just make sure he doesn’t make any of us his next target. You can take a break now if you want.” Jessie stared at him before rolling her eyes and walking out of the room. She walked over to the bar in the other room, grabbing a drink. Jessie heard footsteps and looked up to see Bruce walk into the room. “Everything alright?” Bruce looked up and smiled.

“Yeah,” he spoke as he walked over to the bar next to Jessie, getting a drink. “Just wondering if you’re alright.”

“I’m fine.” Bruce turned to face Jessie, putting a hand on her shoulder.

“You know if there’s anything you want or need to talk about, you can tell me. Just… think of it as a therapist session.”

“Right. I’ll just pretend I’m in isolation again but talking to you instead of Howard. I’ll consider it.” Bruce chuckled.

“No, really. If you want to talk about anything, just let me know. I think Steve and I, maybe Bucky, would really be the only trustworthy people here. You can include Jarvis, if you want to think of him as a person.”

“Thank you, Bruce. I appreciate you wanting to help. I really will consider it though.”

“Well, I’ll be waiting to hear from you.”