1. Sergeant Barnes

-Mid May-

You're my mission.

Those where the last words Jessica Evans heard come from James Buchanan Barnes before he went missing after the fight on the Helicarrier. It has been weeks since Jessie was released from the hospital. She and Steve decided with S.H.I.E.L.D. falling apart, they could take a break from the hero life. Jessie began to wonder about her brainwashed friend. She visited Peggy and mentioned Bucky still being alive. But when the subject of Bucky came up between her and Steve, nothing would be said.

After three weeks, Jessie took a trip to the Smithsonian. She walked around as kids awed at the pictures and artifacts and memories of the past. A few kids would recognize her as the Winter Patriot, some asking for a picture of autograph which she gladly gave to them. She tried her best to be incognito as she walked through the Captain America exhibit alone. Jessie made her way to the location of the Commando's uniforms, but stopped when she saw the familiar face of Bucky, disguised in modern day clothes, staring at the dedicated display of himself. He looked in her direction, immediately recognizing her and held her gaze for a fair amount of time before looking around then back to notice her walking away. She did so slowly, knowing the Soldier would possibly interrogate her. Bucky caught up to Jessie, grabbing her by the arm and pulling her into the room with the filmed interview of Peggy. Bucky kept his hand on Jessie's arm as he sat them both down. He turned her to face him.

"I need answers," the Winter Soldier whispered in a low, stern voice.

"Bucky-" Jessie managed to say, but was cut off.

"Who are you and why do you keep calling me Bucky? Who am I really?"

"You read the display. Your name is James Buchanan Barnes. You were a Sergeant in the 107th Unit during World War II fighting for the U.S. Everyone calls, called, you Bucky because of your middle name."

"Then who are you?"

"Sergeant Jessica Evans of the 107th, also known as the Winter Patriot. I know; sounds like Winter Soldier. But it's not. I've known you since we were little kids. We met Steve Rogers, the man with the shield, in '24 when you were seven and I was six. I do mean 1924. That makes you... 97-98? Now, that is. Physically, you're 29. You were my best friend." Bucky stayed silent and averted his eyes to the recording.

"It was a difficult winter. A blizzard had trapped half of our battalion behind German lines. Steve-Captain Rogers and Sergeant Evans fought their way through Hydra blockade that had pinned our allies down for months. They saved over one thousand men, including the man who would become my husband as it turned out. Jessie said she did it for her friends in the unit, including Bucky who, I later found out she loved. Even after he died, Steve was still changing my life."

"So, were you also..." Bucky didn't finish his sentence. When he looked back at Jessie, her eyes seemed to have tears threatening to fall as she was looking at a pair of dog-tags hanging around her neck. He saw her nod a little. "Look. I don't know who I am, or who you are, but I'm sure the old me loved you back. But if you help me remember, then I will tell you if that was true or not." Jessie gave a small laugh.

"Alright. But you gotta do one thing for me?"

"What's that?"

"Promise to be here till the end of the line."

A/N: Short, and I know I sort of broke Bucky out of character from the Winter Soldier, but at least I have something up.