Thorns Forest Part 16

(Arden)

I followed the smug cat with Ivory at my back.  

"Open this door, human," the cat demanded, golden eyes looking at me lazily.

I grasped the handle and pulled open the wooden door.  Fog filtered in as darkness filled the doorway.  Thorns and thicket almost covered the entire small path.  "Oh, that's not scary at all," I turned to Ivory, eyebrows raised.

Her pale face was filled with apprehension as she asked, "Are you sure you can get us through the forest?"

"Of course I can," he yawned, white canine teeth showing.  "Just some ground rules before we enter."

"Oh great," I rolled my eyes skyward.  

"One: Do not stray from the path.  Two: Do not touch anything.  Three: Do not talk to each other or anything.  They are always listening," he paused to lick his hind-quarters.

"Who is always listening?" I leaned and whispered in Ivory's ear.

"The plants," she murmured back.

"Four: Do whatever I tell you to do; your life might depend on it.  Five: Well, that's about it," he snorted and trotted into the darkness.  

"I can't believe we are following a cat right now," Ivory mumbled as we ventured closer to the doorway.

"Hopefully, he doesn't lead us to our deaths," I murmur quietly to her.

"I heard that human," his golden eyes glowed in the darkness.  "Do hurry or we will never reach Forever at this rate."

"There they are!" a voice shouted.  A soldier in black and red stood at the end of the hallway.  He and a couple others started running down the hallway,

"Time's up.  Go, go, go!" Ivory pushed me forward.  "Death is at my tail!  Death is at my tail!" She leaned to the right and caught the arrow before it hit me.  "Go faster!"  She shoved me and I tumbled into Thorns Forest, while she slammed the door shut.  She stood there with her daggers drawn waiting for them to opened the door.

"Don't worry Destine One, they will open the door to a different part of Thorns Forest and wouldn't dare enter.  You and your human are safe in here," Leo slinked forward on the path as I stood and brushed myself off.

"That's comforting," she mumbled, rolling her grey eyes.

"Hey," I grabbed her elbow, which was warm to my touch.  "Thanks for saving me.  At the house and just now."

Her face softened before something flashed in her grey eyes and she drew her arm away from my hand.  

"Yeah, anytime," she motioned me forward.  

We began a long trek in silence.  It started about an hour after we had been walking.  

Voices filled my head, whispers grew saying thinks like, "He's here.  He's here to take his rightful spot as king.  He is strong.  His aura is so pretty."

I shook my head multiple times before Ivory quietly asked, "Are you okay?"

"You don't hear them?" I was starting to freak out a little now.

"Here what?" she pulled me to a stop.

"Oh my gosh, I'm insane.  I can hear voices, Ivory," I looked at her.  "I'm starting to freak out."

"Don't freak out.  Don't freak out.  Just give it a moment, Thorns Forest is good at messing with your head.  You are fine," her voice soothed me as her long fingers clamped around my upper arm just below my shoulders.

"Did the boy say he heard voices?" Leo's eyes appeared above us in a tree.

"Yeah," Ivory searched my face with concern.

"Hum, what are they saying?" Leo asked, obviously curious.

"That he is here to take his rightful throne and his aura is pretty or something," I rubbed my temples, sighing in relief as they went away. 

"Are you good to continue?" Ivory dropped her hands to her side.

"Yeah, the faster we get there, the better," I looked up at Leo.   He leaped down, and trotted on.  I slowly followed as a migraine grew at the base of my skull.  Ivory was looking at me strangely, but I ignored her, taking off after the cat.  We steadily made our way out of the darkness to trees of orange, red, and yellow leaves turning.  I gazed in wonder at the change of scenery.  It seems we are now in the fall of season.  I studied it, putting details into my brain to later draw everything I have seen since meeting Ivory.  She has given me a whole other world to draw.

"I think this is a safe place to sleep for a couple of hours," Leo effortlessly climbed up a tree.

"He thinks," Ivory sneaked a grin at me.  I flashed her a smile, and she quickly glanced away, heat rising up her neck.  "I'll take first watch.  Get some rest."

I must have appeared not completely sure because her lips raised in a small smile.  

"Arden, you're safe with me around," she patted her twin daggers.

I nodded and curled up into a ball at the base of the tree that Leo was asleep in, using my jacket as a pillow.  I dozed off quickly, and suddenly, I was being shaken awake.  Ivory's beautiful face hovered over mine. 

"The cat disappeared.  Get up," she urged me to my feet.  We grabbed our jackets, and she waited, grey eyes surveying the orange and red grounds.  Her hands rested on the hilt of her daggers.  The green emeralds glinting in the moonlight.  Something shimmered to my right and I tapped her shoulder pointing  it out to her.  She nodded, and stepped in front of me.  Suddenly, her eyes widened in clarity as she shoved me behind a large boulder next to the tree where I had slept.  Fire surrounded us, heat blistering my skin.