You're In My Way Part 15

(Ivory)

When I entered, Arden was dressed in black jeans, black combat boot, and a black long-sleeve shirt with a grey hoody over top.  His chocolate-colored hair was spiked in the front, and he looked absolutely gorgeous.  I flushed at the thought.  Stop thinking those thoughts, Ivory, it will only get you in trouble.  But man, was he good-looking for a mere mortal.  Jeez, you would think I have never seen a good-looking man before.  A slow smile spread up his lips as his stormy blue eyes appraised me. His smile made my insides flutter and I shook my head, looking away.

He strode up to me, and handed me a paper towel.  

"What am I suppose to do with this?" I raised my light eyebrows at him.

"No more red lips, you are beautiful without them," his stormy eyes softened before he handed me my twin daggers and their holders.  I felt my neck heat as I wiped off my lips and put my belt on which held my daggers in their sheaths.

"One sec, I have to get something," I grabbed my bag and dug around until I found what I was looking for.  I stuck two smaller knives into my boots, and turned to give Arden the small knife.  But I didn't realized he had moved so close.  I bumped into him, and he grabbed my arms to steady me.  I could feel the firmness of his muscles under his shirt, and the warmth of his hands on my biceps.  We stared at each other for a second before I remembered what was going on.  "You're in my way," I cleared my throat.

"Oh, yeah, sorry," he looked at the floor as he backed away. 

"This is for you," I held out the small iron knife.

"Why?" he didn't take it.

"Because if something happens to me, I want to know that you have a weapon," I held it out, and sighed in relief when he takes it from my palm.  He places it in his boot as well.  "Let's go."  We walk out of the room and down the stairs to Freya's sitting room.  A brownie, holding a broom and dust pan, rushed by us covered in brown fur and looked like a tiny bear. 

"What was that?" Arden whispered into my ear as a shiver ran down my spine, and it's not because he was so close.  Something is not right.

"Um, it's a brownie.  They are major cleaners, not dangerous," I looked around, trying to figure out what was wrong.  Suddenly, the hair on my arms raised.  I held it up in front of me and placed my hand over it as Arden watched me closely.  "Something isn't right." I looked up into his stormy blue eyes.  

"Then let's get down to Freya," Arden urged me on, trusting my instincts.  Abruptly, the whole entire mansion shook and I fell forward about to fall down the rest of stairs.  A strong hand grasped my elbow and sharply yanked me back to my feet.  

"That's not good," Arden shook his head free of dust as he released my elbow.  

"Come on," I rushed down the stairs into the sitting room.

"Look who decided to grace us with her presence," Leo snarled from his place under the chair.

"Freya, what's going on?" I ignored the cat.

"I told you trouble follows her, my queen," Ziro accused pointing at me.

"Hey, shut it," Arden stepped to my defense.

"Arden!" I roughly yanked him back.  "Would someone please tell me what's going on?!"

"There is an army in the Between, and they are after the two of you," Freya gave the run-down. 

 I swallowed hard, glancing at Arden. 

"How can we get out of here without being seen?" Arden asked.

"Through Thorns Forest," Freya answered.

"No one can navigate through Thorns Forest," I wasn't willing to risk Arden's life.  No one can navigate Thorns Forest because everything was alive there.  The thickets and thorns reached for you, and try to make you confused about where you are going.  Everyone who enters Thorns Forest never comes back out.  And if they do, they go insane.

"Actually, he can," Freya pointed to Leo, who was still under the chair.

"God, could this get any worse?  I knew there was a reason he was really here," I groaned, rubbing my nose.  "Are you sure furball can get us through there alive?"

"Yes, he is the only one," Freya motioned for Leo to come out.  "You are to take them to Forever safely and immediately."

"Fine, but they better keep up," he trotted off with Arden close behind. 

"Freya," I turned to her before following the boys.  "Thank you."

"Of course, now go, while I distract them," Freya waved her hand and she was in her best dress heading for the balcony.  I ran after Arden and Leo.