The Math Class from Hell

"Sakura, what's your next hour?" Temari asked.

Sakura pulled out her schedule and gave it a quick once-over. "I have advanced placement statistics with Asuma. Does anyone happen to have that class too?"

"Gaara does." Temari told her, her teal eyes landing on her younger brother. "Gaara! Walk Sakura to class."

At the mention of his name, the tattooed young man turned to his sister. He was about to send a biting remark but upon seeing the pinkette who was currently looking at Temari like she had grown two heads, decided against it. He instead walked over to Sakura and bobbed his head in the direction their classroom would be. Sakura gave the redhead a questioning look before following him.

'Wow. I never thought he would actually walk me to class.' She thought slightly confused yet happy. 'I won't complain though.'

An almost painfully awkward silence accompanied the couple as the strolled along corridors. Sakura pointedly stared at the marble flooring she felt guilty. She really didn't want the red-haired boy to dislike her on the first day, so she decided to apologize.

"Gaara, I would like to I'm sorry. If I hadn't asked if anyone knew where Asuma-sensei's class was, Temari would have never forced you to walk me there." She mumbled her viridian irises looking up at him.

If he heard her, Gaara gave no indication. He didn't reply, nod or even glance at her, he merely continued to walk a few steps ahead of her.

Sakura pulled a face at his lack of response and turned her head away from him. If he was going to be rude, she was too. Sakura marched past the quiet boy her nose pointed in the air. 'I am going to find that class on my own!'

Call it karma or fate or simply a coincidence but as soon Sakura stomped in the lead she was not watching where she was going, she slipped on a stray piece of paper which had been left in the middle of the floor. Her feet went out from under her, her thin arms flailing in a futile attempt to balance herself as she stumbled.

Realizing that she acted too slowly, Sakura squeezed her jade orbs shut and braced herself for the inevitable impact, though it never came. Gentle, warm hands reached up to catch her. Sakura's eye flew open and her breath hitched, Gaara's sea-foam eyes were gazing into her own, his face only a mere hair's breadth away from her own.

Sakura could feel her cheeks growing warm from the proximity of the handsome boy and quickly turned her head to the side, sending the piece of paper a fierce glare for tripping her. Though, it was admittedly her fault for not watching where she was going.

Turning her head back to the crimson headed boy, she gave a small smile, "thank you, Gaara." She mumbled, her face heating up once more.

Gaara nodded absentmindedly as he helped Sakura steady herself again. Once she was standing up right, he took off in the same direction they were originally headed, leaving Sakura to jog to catch up to him. This time she kept her eyes on the floor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There were already 4 people in class when Sakura and Gaara arrived at Asuma-sensei's AP statistics class. Two of them were the obnoxiously loud seniors from her English class, Hidan and Kisame, if she remembered their names correctly. The other two students were sitting next to Hidan and Kisame and they looked interesting, to say the least.

One was big and burly with a black mask covering half of his face. The irises of his eyes were a light green and the sclera red. The other boy had a striking dual-colored skin, one half was white and one was black. Both of the boys looked very intimidating and were not people Sakura wanted to cross.

The bumblegum haired girl prayed that Kisame and Hidan wouldn't notice her as she scuttled into the classroom after Gaara. She had just pulled out the seat next to Gaara, when the foul mouthed silver haired senior took notice of her.

"Hey! It's the Pink Bitch from Kakashi's class!" he shouted drawing the other three boy's attention to her.

"Oh it is Pinky!" Kisame added. "This girl made almost everyone in our Language Arts class crack up. She actually had the balls to point out that Kakashi reads smut in class!"

Sakura bit her tongue to avoid snapping at the two older guys when they referred to her as the "pink bitch from Kakashi's class". She lowered herself into the seat next to Gaara and pulled out her notebook.

'Just ingone them Sakura. No point in getting into petty arguments with idiots, it'll just lower you IQ.' She reminded herself, steeling her expressive green eyes to the front of class with the goal of ignoring the other boys for the rest of the day.

An older man, Sakura assumed was the teacher, Asuma, strolled in holding a stack of papers as the bell rang. He turned around to face the students a cigarette grit between his teeth which Sakura tried to ignore since she thought smoking was a destructive and disgusting habit.

Sakura's face of disgust must not have been masked well since his brown eyes meet her emerald and he chuckled at her nose scrunched up. Sakura's cheeks lit on fire as she coughed and scratched her neck sheepishly sending him an awkward apologetic smile.

Shaking his head, Asuma began to speak, "I see you are all sitting, however, I already wrote a seating chart so everyone please stand, grab you things and sit where I tell you to go."

Sakura did ask her teacher asked and waited patiently as the students were placed in the room. She hoped that Asuma was nicer to her than Kakashi's and didn't place her next to those obnoxious fools, but clearly her prayers went unanswered when Asuma said her name and pointed the a seat at a table next to Hidan and Kisame, as well as the other senior with the mask over his face.

Her pretty face broke out it one of horror as she stalked over to her new seat trying her best not to childishly scream and beg Asuma to switch her with someone else. The boisterous seniors were grinning at her as if they won the lottery as Sakura took her seat and Kisame winked at her.

"I knew you couldn't stay away." Kisame teased a smirk crossing his fish-like features. Sakura sneered and stuck out her tongue childishly.

"I wouldn't stick your tongue out if you don't want me to fucking catch it next time." Hidan added staring at Sakura.

The blossom-headed girl pulled her tongue back into her mouth as her cheeks turned bright pink as his lewdness. She never had someone be so flirtatious towards her at old school. She old had 2 friends during her 16 years in Amegakure and neither of them felt that way towards her. They were like her big brothers who always had her back.

Sakura turned her head away from the silver-haired senior and met the eyes of the mysterious other boy at her table. He hadn't said anything the entire period.

"Hi, I'm Haruno Sakura." She introduced smiling brightly.

The other guy, Kakazu, as she heard Asuma refer to him as just inclined his head in her direction as a way of acknowledging her and turned his attention back to Asuma who was currently passing out his class syllabus.

'Not one much for conversation,' Sakura mused, 'well, at least he won't be distracting me from my studies. I can't afford to do poorly in any of my classes if I plan on going to a good university.'

Sakura focused on Asuma as he began going on the syllabus and class expectations and tuned out everything else, such as the two seniors who were currently still staring at her and continued to for the rest of class.