Chapter 32

Sean Pov

"No."

I frowned at immediate response. "No?"

"That's not possible."

"It is though. I don't know how or why, I can't explain it it just is."

"No. It can't be. This isn't real." She shook her head in further denial.

I was going to have to give her a better explanation for her to actually believe me.

"I'm real, Carly. This is what I am, it's how I was made. I'm a werewolf."

"Werewolves don't exist."

"But they do. How can you continue to deny it when you just saw me shift before your very eyes?"

"It doesn't make any sense."

"I understand that but it's true." I basically was pleading for her to believe me at this point.

I reached out to grab her hand but she pulled it away from me.

"So is everyone else here able to turn into a wolf too?" She was curious. That was something I could work with.

"Yes. This is my pack."

"Your pack? Oh God, this is truly insane." She tilted her head up at the sky as if she couldn't even look at me anymore.

"It's not."

"Where do I fit into all of this? Why did you really bring me here?"

She seemed to be getting more upset by the minute. I needed to find a way to calm her down.

"Why don't we head back to the house? I can get some clothes on, well relax, and then I'll tell you everything you need to know."

"No. I don't care if this isn't ideal time or place for you to talk to me. I need to know what's going on now."

"You're my mate." I blurted out.

"What?"

"Every werewolf is matched with someone by the moon goddess. We call the person we're matched with our mate. When I first saw you, my heart began pounding in my chest and your scent drew me to you. All these signs showed that you are the person I'm destined to be with. I knew at that point that you were my mate."

"So you're not with me because you chose to be. You're with me because some goddess made you feel this way."

"No. My feelings for you are real. Everyone, even humans, have a soulmate. The moon goddess just makes it clear from the beginning for wolves. I'm not with you because I have to be, I'm with you because I want to be. Sure I felt a certain way at the start because of the goddess, but I fell in love with you all on my own. You are the most amazing girl I've ever met and I will choose to be with you every day for the rest of my life."

She took a deep breath and stepped closer.

"Do you really mean that?"

"Of course."

"You want me to join your pack, don't you?" She raised an inquiring eyebrow at me.

"It's actually a bit more complicated than that."

"How so?" The skepticism in her voice had returned and I looked at the ground to avoid her piercing stare.

"I'm going to become the alpha of this pack someday soon. As my mate, you would become the Luna. We would run this pack together."

"I'm not doing that."

My heart dropped in my chest and I felt as though I was on fire. She might be able to live with the fact that I'm part wolf, but can't accept me as an alpha.

"Why not? I would be there with you. It could be amazing. You and I on top of the world."

"I don't want to be on top of the world. I just wanted someone to love me for me."

"I do love you for you who are."

"And what happens when your pack refuses me as their luna because I'm human? I know nothing about your race why would they even want me to rule over them? It won't happen because I can't be in charge of a pack. I can barely take care of myself." She told me.

"I can help you."

"I'm sorry, Sean. I'm in love with you, but I can't be what you want me to be."

She scooped up Alfred into her arms and turned away from me. Watching her walk away was one of the hardest things I ever had to do.

Alfred whimpered as she left me behind. Even the puppy knew that this was the end of something beautiful.

If her words made my heart drop earlier, her leaving had left my heart completely shattered.

I let silent tears run down my face unashamed. No one was out to see me so vulnerable. Even if they were, I wouldn't care.

I loved Carly with my entire being and nearly everything in me was telling me to let her go if it meant she would be happy. But there was a small selfish part of me that wanted her to be hurting as much as I was. If she could walk away from this without crying, what we had must've meant nothing to her. I couldn't see her face, but I wanted to know if her cheeks were as tearstained as mine if only to find out if she did care.

I found a pair of shorts after quick search in the clearing. We often had articles of clothing lying around in our woods for those who shifted unexpectedly. Once I was dress I walked to the pack house and straight into my father's office.

He rose a confused brow at my Haggard appearance when I entered. Before he could question me I explained it in two words.

"She's gone."

He stood and wrapped his arms around me.

"I'm sorry, son. But you're mates, you'll find each other again. I promise."

"She knows now. And she wants nothing to do with being Luna. I don't think she's comfortable with the idea of pack life. How can I get her back?" I stepped back so I could look at him in the eyes.

"Maybe you can convince her."

"I don't think that'll work, dad."

He furrowed his brows deep in thought.

"I might have another idea."