12 - The First Time

Hailee was now in a hospital room. Her transplant surgery was in a few hours. She recalled how her first transplant went.

Flashback:

Hailee was 8 years old. She was sitting on her hospital bed watching Iron Man (just pretend it was out by 2003). As she watched the movie, Hailee wished that she could make herself a new heart instead of having to wait to get a new heart. How cool and quick it would be to be self sufficient and be able to help others if she could make hearts she thought to herself.

Later that night, her doctor came in to tell her and her family some news.

"Hailee, we have gotten your test results back and it appears that the trial we have you on is making you worse. Because of that, you have made your way up to first on the transplant list."

Being first on the transplant list was a good and bad thing at the same time. It meant that you would be the next person to get an organ when someone donated but, it meant that you were really sick to be moved up to the first slot. The people with the top few slots were the people who didn't have much time and who needed the transplant the most out of everyone.

"Luckily for you, we just got a new heart as we got your results. Hailee, you are getting a heart today! We will wheel you in for surgery in an hour."

Hailee wanted to tell Chloe about her new transplant. She also wanted to explain to Chloe before she went under that it was sudden surprise and she wasn't breaking their promise. Her parents wouldn't allow her to see Chloe because Hailee needed to get her vitals checked and be prepared for surgery.

Hailee was now out of surgery. She was still asleep. Doctor Mathews updated her parents on how the surgery went.

"Hailee is now out of surgery. We had a couple rough patches but it ended well. The heart we had gotten ended up not being the most healthy heart. It'll still work, but we'll have to use it as a temporary heart. Hailee will need another transplant by the time she is 25. When we put the new heart in, Hailee was unresponsive. After a few times trying to restart the new heart, it ended up working. She wasn't dead for too long so no long term affects will happen. She is okay now. I will come get you guys once she wakes up."

Flashback over.

(Present day) Hailee finished recalling her last transplant. She was nervous that the temporary heart wouldn't be able to get her through this surgery. At least she was able to have a new heart available to her a few years before she would desperately need one. She was only 22 now. The doctor told her she would desperately need a new heart when she was 25. Yet, Hailee was still unsure how this would all work out in the end.

(511 words)