Prologue

Flashback 2003 - Age 7

"Griffin, can we watch some cartoons" I plead. I was getting bored of watching cars racing all day.

"Fine, but only because you just got home from the hospital." With that, Griffin tosses the remote to me.

For the most part of my life, I had lived in the hospital. I had a rare heart condition that kept me locked up there.

Griffin and I are cozy under my white fuzzy blanket and our eyes are glued to the TV screen. I feel something cool start trickling down, over my eyebrow. I recognize this as my own sweat.

Thud- Thud- Thud- becomes the only thing I can hear.

"Griff! Why'd you turn the sound off?!"

Griffins lips move as he puts his hands up in the air. But no sound comes out of his mouth. I sit there puzzled. My brother is a totally maniac. I keep staring at Griffin, who is wildly waving his arms in the air, until I feel something cold and hard on the left side of my body.

'Why is Griffin sideways now?' I think. I look to the left side of me and realize that I have fallen over. The pain never comes though.

I stare at Griffin, too stunned to do anything. I see his mouth open wide to probably let out a scream for help. Red starts to cover the corners of my vision. I reach up to feel my throbbing head.

Thud- Thud- Thud-

As my hand comes back in front of my face, it is stained with blood. My blood.

My parents appear behind my brother. They faces are even lighter than my white blanket. Sharp pains shoot through my chest and out toward all my limbs. I try to move my head to see where my dad quickly left to go but the red and darkness overcome my vision and the beating of my heart overcomes the rest of my senses.

To be continued...

(331 words)