4 - Berlin's Past

"Berlin, do you want any breakfast?" Cheri asked the young teen.

Berlin was too focused on her phone to answer.

"Hey, Cheri asked you a question Berlin." Pete tried to get the girl's attention.

"Hmmm? Oh, I'm sorry. I'm okay. Thanks." Berlin said quietly. She got up and went back upstairs to her room.

"What's wrong with her?" said Griffin.

"It's her mother's birthday." Hailee replied.

The rest of the family realized what Hailee was trying to get at. They remember what Berlin had told them last year.

When Berlin first came to stay with the Steinfeld's, she was pretty beaten up. She had scars all over and lots of bruises. They were finally able to figure out what happened to Berlin after she had stayed with them for a little while.

Berlin had had a rough childhood. Her parents didn't want her and they made sure that was known. They had money but they didn't want to use any of it on Berlin. In fact, they were rich. They lived in a nice neighborhood and all their friends were rich and had kids too. Berlin was on her own to get food and money. She had to work at a young age. Whatever she could salvage, her parents took most of it. Often times, they got mad at her when she did not earn very much. They would hurt her and many times, she would end up with a broken bone or needed stitches.

When Berlin was 6, her parents had another child named Kendall. Her parents praised Kendall. They gave her all the toys she wanted and spent so much money on her. When Kendall was 3, she loved Berlin. She did not understand why her parents did not love Berlin. Kendall would sometimes sneak food and money to give to Berlin. Of course, their parents found out and scolded Berlin. They told her that it was horrible to trick a child into stealing money and food for her. Then, they hurt her again.

One day, Kendall, who was 5 at the time, asked her parents "why don't we give Berlin anything?"

Her parents just laughed and said "Because we don't love her" as if that wasn't already obvious.

"We honestly don't see how she hasn't gotten the hint already and just leave. We can't give her up because that wouldn't look good in front of all the other parents." their father said.

With that, Berlin got up and left the house. The fact that her parents had no shame in telling that to her little sister in front of her broke Berlin's heart. Berlin had gone to live with her kind and caring grandparents but they died shortly after. Later on, when Berlin was in the foster care system, she found out that an officer went to her parents' house. The officer said that they had found Berlin and wanted to know if they wanted her back. Her parents didn't even let the officer finish saying "want her back" and answered no. Berlin felt useless. That was until she had met the Steinfeld family.

Hailee felt horrible knowing that such parents would do that. She was glad she didn't know anyone else who had to go through that. At least, she thought.

Flashback, Chloe's POV:

Chloe was supposed to be asleep but the voice of her parents in the hallway kept her away.

"We can't keep having this conversation. She's your daughter so you can try to stay positive for her but I won't. I got to go. I hope she dies. I never loved her anyways." McCory, Chloe's father, said.

"Don't you leave me! She's our daughter!" Teri yelled.

It was too late to change his mind. He left anyways.

Chloe thought back to earlier that day. She saw Hailee with her family. Hailee had failed another trial. She was crying. She felt bad for letting her parents down. They told her that it was okay and they were going to try everything until they find a cure. They loved her and were with her till the end of the line.

Chloe had longed for a family like that. She knew now that, that would never happen.

(703 words)