1 - How It All Started

Present Day:

Hailee had recently gone off the grid. Not many people knew that she did. Only her close family and friends. She had just had a doctor's appointment where she had found out that her health had rapidly declined in the short span of 2 months. She had been on tour with Charlie Puth. Before the tour, her doctor had checked her health and said she was in good health. Or at least, as good of health as she could be in due to her condition. She had traveled the US opening for each show. She showed little sign of illness and felt better than she had ever felt.

Hailee was doing her usual morning routine. Eat avocado toast, walk a block around her neighborhood, and then sitting around in her family's big, empty house. Usually by that point of the day, her family friends, Shawn or Haley, would've texted her to go do something.

Shawn and Haley had practically grown up with Hailee. Some would say they were triplets (except for the fact that they looked nothing like each other). Shawn and Haley knew how boring life was for Hailee when her condition got in the way of letting her be able to act or sing. So, they were always there to keep Hailee busy.

Opening the front door, Hailee yelled "anyone home?" She knew all her family were out working so she did not expect an answer. She just felt better saying that everytime she got back in the house after her walk.

"Hey Haiz." a deepish voice replied.

Hailee could tell it was Shawn. But why was he here?

"Hey Shawn. What are you doing here?" the tall brunette asked. She had made her way into the kitchen by now and grabbed a glass. She turned with a smile to face Shawn, who was watching her. The smile instantly disappeared when she saw the worried look on the 21 year old's face.

"I know you are off the grid right now, but I think you need to go back on to see this." Shawn said slowly.

"Okay" Hailee cautiously said while opening her phone. She gasped when she saw the headlines of all the top news stories.

Headline: CHLOE GRACE MORETZ POSTS A SELF VIDEO SAYING THAT HAILEE STEINFELD HAD BRIBED HER WAY TO THE FIRST SLOT FOR A HEART TRANSPLANT AT AGE 8.

The article summarized Chloe's video about Hailee and her's relationship in the hospital back in 2003. It exposed the secret life of diease and illness that Hailee did not want the world to know about yet. Especially, not in that way.

After Hailee read a few more articles, Shawn took her phone away carefully. Once Hailee was snapped back into reality, she crumbled into his arms.

"I guess her revenge has started..." Hailee said so quietly, Shawn could barely hear it.

(author) So, let's go back to how this all started:

One month ago:

"Hey Haiz." Charlie Puth says happily as he walks into Hailee's trailer. Hailee, who is absorbed in her phone, doesn't even notice the singer standing in her door way. Starting to get impatient after a minute, Charlie waves his hand in front of Hailee's face. "Oh my gosh! I am so sorry. I didn't realize you came in." Hailee says as she tries to hide her embarrassment and quickly puts her phone away. "I can tell. But thats alright. So is there anything wrong?" Charlie sheepishly asks. He doesn't really want to seem like he is wanting to know everybody's business. "Oh no! Everything is fine. Just my family is all in town for tonight's concert and they were asking questions. It is a bit of a drive from LA to Irvine and they aren't the best at taking directions." Hailee says, chuckling the last part quietly to herself. "Oh okay. Good. Well, tell them I hope they like the Voicenotes concert. I'll let you have some time to yourself to get ready." Charlie says as he is opening the door. At the same time, Hailee's makeup and hair stylist walk through the door.

-2 Hours Later- *SpongeBob voice* It was now meet and greets. Hailee was excited to meet her fans. She sees on Instagram how supportive her fans are. She feels like the meet and greets is a way to give back to her fans. Even if they have to pay a little extra to do so.

The meet and greet starts and goes by quickly. It'd only been 15 minutes and they had gone through the majority of the group. The security people stop the line for a second so Hailee could get some water quickly. Hailee scanned the few people that were left. The last girl in line looked very familiar to Hailee. That's when it hit her. That dirty blonde hair and the mischievous, yet warming smile. She was one of her best friends when she was little. Hailee never knew why they drifted apart. She had missed her best friend but was happy to see her again. And happy to see that she looked much healthier than she did when she last saw her. Or so she thought.

The next few people each meet Hailee. They do the usual "OMG! I'm a huge fan. You are my life" etc. They take some pictures then go. Finally, it is her turn. Hailee immediately goes up to her first and tries to hug her but is quickly cut off.

"Don't you dare act all nice and cute. You know what you did to me. You lied and broke my heart. Then you act like nothing ever happened? Well guess what! I'm gonna make you pay for what you did. For all of it." She spit out. She turned on her heel and walked away.

What did I do?

Once all the fans from the meet and greet were escorted out, Shawn, who was watching in the corner, walked up to Hailee. Anger was coursing through his veins. How dare someone treat Hailee like that. That wasn't even a someone, it was her best friend. Or at least was her best friend. The singer had always been very protective of Hailee. He had thought of her as his little sister and wouldn't let anything happen to her. She meant so much to him and it hurt him to see her get scared and hurt.

"What the hell was that? She did not deserve to say that to you." Shawn said through clenched teeth.

"Shawn. Chill out. She's probably jealous or is going through something right now. Leave it alone." Hailee said sweetly.

"No! I am not going to let her treat you like that." Shawn kept ranting on about Chloe. Hailee knew that she was very important to Shawn. Just like he was important to her. But she thought he was overreacting. Yes, Chloe threatened her but, there wasn't much she could do about it. Hailee grabbed Shawn's arm that had the guitar tattoo on it and carefully traced it while Shawn kept blabbering about Chloe. Tracing his tattoo helped Shawn relax.

Once Shawn relaxed, Hailee told him "Okay. I can't let you go after Chloe. We have no idea what she was talking about. Maybe she had too much to drink or something. But, if she does something horrible tonight, then have her all you want."

"Okay. Sorry I got frustrated." Shawn admitted. "Now, let's go have some fun!"

With that, the two brunettes walked out of the room and went behind the stage.

(1261 words)