EWEW 2 : I'm A Barbie Girl, In A Beer Boy World

L.W.T.B.B Copyright © 2012-2015 xXMopelXx All Rights Reserved.

To anyone still reading this story, thank you so much for your endless support! xo

Rewritten version of this chapter posted - March 22nd 2015.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

{Chapter 2}: I'm a Barbie Girl, In A Beer Boy World

It seemed like a lot of changes were happening today.

After dropping Layla and Gabriela home, I'd headed straight for my house. I promised my little six year old brother that we'd watch Shark Tales together tonight. He'd never seen it.

I was filled with disappointment when I got home. My mother left a note on the dinning table, letting me know that she'd dropped off Michael at his friend's house and that she wouldn't be home tonight. Just like every other night, they'd paged her in for another overnight shift at the hospital. I wasn't stupid - bills were accumulating and she was forcing herself to work overtime. All so we could make ends meet at the end of the month.

A part of me wished I could do more to help her out. But with my mother overexerting herself, someone had to be home to watch over Michael. We couldn't leave him alone. I'd resulted for a babysitting gig that brought in enough cash flow to cover weekly expenses like groceries and gas money for our cars. This way I got to stay home and keep an eye on my little munchkin.

My phone pinged with a text message from Gabby as I aimlessly wandered the corridors of my house, a bottle of Naya adorned in my hand. I flinched at the sound, forgetting how eerily quiet it got when both Michael and my mom were out of the house.

I hated it.

It made me feel like I was slowly suffocating. Almost as if the narrow walls of our little town house would close in on me, until not a single ounce of breath was left in my lungs.

When my gaze drifted over an old family photo, carefully perched on the wall above the bench by our entrance, a feeling of nostalgia washed over me. I was thirteen and my parents cradled a one year old Michael in their arms.

The more I stared at the picture - one I'd gone over a thousand times as I flitted in and out of the house - the feeling of nostalgia, trapped deep in my chest, morphed to something like distress. Until I felt my breathing pick up speed. The joyous smiles on my parents' faces were taunting me and I snapped my eyes away, not wanting to look a second longer.

In a moment of panic, I drained my entire bottle of water and went to dispose of it in the kitchen. The yellow curtains by the sink billowed softly in the air coming through the open window. It only emphasized the feeling of loneliness in my house. I was abashed to find my palms clammy, the aftermaths of pondering over old memories.

Desperately trying to control the sudden high of emotions running through me, I opened Gabby's text message for a diversion.

Please, please, tell me you're going to the party tonight? - G

My response was quick, seeing as I didn't need to contemplate too hard on it.

No. -A

Why not? -G

Because I've got better things to do. - A

That was a massive lie. It was Friday night and I had the house all to myself. Since it was only the first week of school, I didn't have a heavy workload. Nor was I babysitting tonight.