22•

My head snapped towards the door and I stood up as an engine roared down the driveway. They couldn't be back already.

Max ran over to the window and her face turned pale. "It's my brother," she said, eyeing Lucas, "he can't know I'm here. He'll kill me, he'll kill us."

At her words, dread filled my body as I glanced at the clock. I was supposed to meet Billy over two hours ago. He was going to flip if he saw me here.

Steve glanced at us and his jaw locked in place. "Alright, everybody stay here." He said as he walked out the door, closing it behind him.

"Am I dreaming or is that you Harrington?" I heard Billy's muffled voice through the wood of the door.

"Yeah it's me, don't cream your pants." I heard Steve retort. I moved towards the window and peeked out. I saw Billy take off his jacket and walk towards Steve. Both of them were nearly face to face.

"What are you doing here amigo?" Billy asked provocatively.

"I could ask you the same thing, amigo." Steve frowned.

"I'm looking for my stepsister," Billy said, his cigarette still hanging from his lips, "a little bird told me she was here."

"Huh. That's weird. Don't know her." Steve replied, a little too quickly.

"Small. Redhead. Bit of a bitch." Billy motioned as he talked.

"Yeah that's not ringing any bells. Sorry man." Steve said. Billy's eyes narrowed as he stepped closer to Steve.

"This whole situation, I don't know Harrington. It's giving me the heebie-jeebies." Billy said as he studied Steve. All four kids were now by the window. Their noses practically pressed to the glass. I saw Billy's eyes flicker and I just knew he'd fucking seen them. I just knew he'd seen me.

"Yeah? How's that?" Steve asked, his arms folded.

"My thirteen year old sister goes missing all day. On top of that, my girlfriend stands me up- and I find them here with you- at a stranger's house, and you lie to me about it-" Part of me felt like shit for lying to Billy, but I obviously couldn't tell him the real reason I left. But another part of me felt really fucking happy that he had addressed me as his girlfriend.

"Dude." Steve began, still oblivious to what was going on, "were you dropped too much as a child or what? I don't know what you don't understand about what I just said. They're not here."

Billy just laughed as he blew smoke from his mouth. I thought he was going to punch Steve right there. But instead, he moved closer to Steve and removed his cigarette from his mouth. "Then who, is that?" He said, motioning to the window with his cigarette.

Steve turned around and I saw the shock in his eyes. All the kids dropped down behind the sofa.

"Shit, did he see us?" Dustin asked.

"Evie what are you doing?" Lucas whisper shouted. There was no point in me getting down. I just continued to stare as the scene unfolded before us. Billy pushed Steve to the ground and kicked him in the stomach. The kids and I moved away from the window and towards the kitchen, with me standing in front of them. The front door swung open and Billy stopped for a second, taking in the scene.

"Well well well." He paused to slam the door shut. "Lucas Sinclair, what a surprise."

"Billy." I whispered, reaching out to him. I just knew that this was going to be so fucking bad.

"Don't." He spat, pointing his finger at me. "You lied to me, and for what? So you could get it on with Harrington behind my back?"

"Fucking hell Billy." I seethed. I thought he trusted me.

"Yeah," he sniffed, "fucking hell."

"Go home Billy." Max said firmly, stepping out from behind me. Billy's eyes snapped over to his sister as he moved towards her.

"I thought I told you to stay away from him, Max." He spat.

"Billy go away!" Her voice wavered as he moved closer to her.

"You disobeyed me." He said to Max, "and you know what happens when you disobey me." His eyes flickered to Lucas and fear engulfed me. "I break things!" He yelled as he pivoted, grabbing hold of Lucas and pushing him into a cabinet full of plates across the room. I froze.

"Billy stop!" Max cried.

"Since Maxine won't listen to me, maybe you will." He said to Lucas. "You stay away from her. Stay away from her!"

"I said get off of me!" Lucas yelled before kneeing Billy between the legs. He doubled over before standing back up.

"You are so dead Sinclair!" Billy roared.

Suddenly Steve brushed passed me and stood behind Billy. "No, you are."

Billy turned just in time to meet Steve's fist. A loud crack sounded throughout the room as Billy's head snapped backwards. He quickly turned back around and started to laugh. Who the fuck laughs after they've just been punched?

"Looks like you got some fire in you after all, Huh?" Billy began, "I've been waiting to meet this 'king Steve' everyone's been telling me so much about."

Steve eyed Billy before taking his finger and pushing Billy back by the chest. "Get out."

Billy just stood there for a moment and Lucas ran passed him, the kids grabbed him and I stood in front of them again just as Billy took a swing at Steve. Steve managed to dodge it and punched Billy three more times, pushing him back into the sink. All the kids were cheering, but I just stood there. My heart breaking as I watched the two people I loved most, beat the shit out of each other.

A yell escaped my throat as Billy picked up a plate and smashed it across Steve's face. The room went silent as Steve hunched over, clutching the side of his head. Billy pushed him into the middle of the front room and grabbed him by the collar.

"Nobody tells me what to do." He said as he headbutted Steve, causing him to fall in a heap on the floor. Time stood still as Billy climbed on top of Steve and started to punch him multiple times in the face. I could hear the kids screaming as I ran over to the two boys.

"Billy stop!" I pleaded as I reached out and grabbed his shoulder. He never tore his eyes away from Steve as he shoved me away. I yelped and stumbled back, tripping over god knows what and falling to the ground. The air was knocked out of me as I whacked my head off the floor. I lay in a heap, motionless as Max walked up behind him. Why the actual fuck was this happening?

The kid's screaming rang through my ears but the majority of my attention was grabbed by the loud thumping in my head. Gradually my vision blurred and I saw Billy stand up and pull something from his neck. The flash of confusion on his face as he looked at me was the last thing I saw before everything turned to nothing.