6•

I drove around for a while and after buying some gas, I ended up at a liquor store in the middle of town. I would have to stock up on my own alcohol because everyone knows you don't drink the punch at party's. I walked in and headed straight for the vodka and picked up two quarter bottles, letting out a yelp when someone tapped me on the shoulder. I quickly gathered myself and turned around after almost dropping the bottles.

"Well it's nice to know you're not dead," Steve said, lifting his sunglasses up, "although, if I had of got my hands on you this morning you might be." He had an unamused expression on his face and was very obviously pissed off.

"I'm sorry I-"

"No no no," he said wagging his finger, cutting me off, "don't even dream of saying you 'overslept' because your car wasn't in the driveway and you weren't in school. But yet, you're here now. So, where were you?"

"It doesn't matter." I sighed. I couldn't tell him about what happened, there was no point getting him all worked up, besides I'll be 18 in a few months and I'll be moving out soon anyway. My expression quickly changed from remorse to confusion as Steve started to laugh. He leaned against one of the shelves and pinched the bridge of his nose.

"I think I'm going deaf because I thought you just said 'it doesn't matter" because it matters a lot Evie. You're my best friend and although you annoy the shit outta me and Nance sometimes, we care about you so much. So please, tell me the truth or I'm gonna think that you have another secret best friend that you're cheating on us with."

"There's no secret best friend, only you guys," I said with a small smile, "and I'm sorry, I just needed some headspace. And I think I'll just drive myself to school in the mornings because I have the reliability skills of a piece of toast and there's no point in you and Nance being late because of me."

He was nodding as I said this which gave me some reassurance that he wasn't that mad anymore.

"Okay, I forgive you," He shrugged, making me smile, "and you look amazing by the way."

"Thanks," I said while giving a little spin, "you and Nancy's costume is going to be so cute, you know, when you're together. Because right now you look like a hitman or something." I said the last bit with a smile but Steve was just staring at me, frowning.

"Hello earth to Steve?" I said while waving my hand in front of his face.

"What the hell happened to you?"

"What the what"?

"Your neck, who did that?" He said while moving my hair out of the way. I shook him off and turned around to look at my reflection in the liquor cabinet. Shit fuck motherfucking bitch. There was two nasty looking bruises on either side of my neck.

"Oh uh," think Evelyn think, "I was wearing one of those lace up choker things, right? And it was way too tight so when I took it off it must have bruised my neck."

"Right," Steve said, drawing the word out. At least he looked somewhat convinced, "well I hope you chucked it out."

"Oh yeah, in the trash, gone forever." I smiled while pulling out a bill and quickly walking to the cash register to pay.

"Bye Steve, see you at Tina's." I called to him, he was still standing exactly where I left him when I walked out the door. I practically ran to my car, cursing my father to the fiery pits of hell for leaving bruises on me.

I took every backroad I could think of, going as fast as I could with mix tape blaring 'rock you like a hurricane' by the Scorpions. It was around nine and I could hear the music from Tina's house half a mile away. I pulled into her driveway and smiled. The house was lit up like a Christmas tree and was jam packed with people. Now this is what life is all about.

I stepped out of my car and walked to the front door, nearly tripping over a guy dressed in a toga who was sprawled out on the lawn.

I opened one bottle of vodka and brought it with me into the party. There was so many people in the house that I went out to the garden to get some air.

"Thirty nine, forty, forty one."
I could hear everyone chanting as they were gathered around the beer keg. Low and behold, Billy was the centre of attention, covered in beer and sweat and god knows what else, doing a handstand on top of it.

"Forty two!" We have a new keg king!" Everyone cheered as Billy got down from the keg and was handed a victory cigarette. Poor Steve, he had been keg king for a really long time and now Billy just went and ruined it. I sighed and took another drink from my bottle before turning and heading back into the house.