Chapter 23.1 • The Hero

A NOISY SHATTERING of glass awoke me from a deep sleep. I shield myself using my right hand from the bright light coming through the white, sheer-curtained window. I yawned a little too times before realizing where I was and what was the noise that I heard.

Moving to the bathroom, I turned on the faucet to cleanse my face and rinse my palate using the mouthwash. I still stink from the amount of whiskey I drank yesterday. Which reminds me of how I get here in my sister's condominium.

Remembering what happened the night before is not what I usually do. I just go with the flow. If there'll be a girl next to me, if a day later someone will knock on my door crying because I ghosted her, you pick. But that will never bother me.

I looked straight into the mirror then shut my eyes as the wound under it educed idiocy. Hindi pa rin mabura ang bakas na iniwan ng mga alagad ni Banerji. Balang araw, malilintikan din sila sa'kin.

In the kitchen, my sister is just finishing up preparing for breakfast in the counter table. Before I can get near the kitchen island, I saw crystals of plate inside the trash can, this must be the violent sound I heard earlier.

Ito ang unang beses na napang-abot kami sa umaga simula nang matulog dito si Quisumbing. Ako ang madalas na umiiwas, I admit it. Kapag magkasabay kasi kami ay paniguradong maririndi siya sa katahimikan dahil ayaw ko siyang kausap. Then, she will just make the situation more awkward. And that will send me running on my motorbike. We usually talk thru phone call when she updates me on our grandmother's condition. Based on the looks of her eyes, there are still no progress on her situation.

The sound of spoon hitting the pure white, squared plate succumbs. "You can eat here, if you want. I prepared a brunch for two." She cannot take the sirens of silence.

Napakamot ako sa batok bago hilahin ang upuan. "Why? Expecting someone else? A boyfriend, perhaps?" I sat down.

Since her long-term relationship during her law school days, I haven't heard anything about her other relationships. But, when I actually think about it, I am not that interested on her love life. She's terrible at that.

She sighed, shoulders down, before intensely lays the plate full of burned sausages and what I think is a supposed sunny side up but ended up scrambled. "No one's going to visit Nana during lunch. I can accompany you." She quietly sat.

I don't want to disappoint her terrible morning face, so I looked for a less-burned sausages then cut it in half and eat the medium well-done side. This is my first-time taking bites on her dish— if you can call this one. When we were younger and when I was still part of the family, the maid cooks for us. Now that she has been independent for more than four years, she's still awful in cooking. Sometimes, I miss Tam's flavorful soups. I really should treat her more pleasantly.

"I've already seen her." For about millisecond, before my jackass brother closed the door for me. If I'm going to see my grandmother, I prefer when she is well enough to recognize me. Not right now that the only thing I can talk to is the small machine that supports her.

"Mom wants to see you."

So, may iba pala siyang balak. Kaya pala inimbitahan ako.

"Yeah, done seeing her too. At the wedding, remember?"

Nawawalan ako ng ganang kumain.

Nagseryoso ang mukha niya, namuo ang pag-aala sa mga mata. "She is worried, Ralph. You're in trouble again." Tinutukoy niya ang pasa sa mukha ko.

Hindi ko sinabi ang buong detalye kung paano ko nakuha 'to dahil paniguradong susuwayin niya ang napagkasunduan namin. Isa pa, sanay naman silang lagi akong napapaaway. That's what I'm good at. Ilang beses din akong palipat-lipat ng rehabilitation center dahil madalas akong makipagbugbugan. This is my way of displacing disturbing problems. They should deal with it. Kaya lang naman ako nagpanggap na matino ay para makalabas sa walang-hanggang kulungan na 'yon.