And then all that is left behind is darkness.

My eyes flickered a little uneasily across the dark room. It was small and dimly lit, with a small table in the middle and a bulb right over it. I sat on the chair across that table, trying not to fidget whilst keeping my patience intact.

I was here for a reason, I reminded myself.

"I'm sorry to make you wait, Manik," I heard a sharp voice behind me. I didn't turn back, just waited for him to come ahead, and sit across the table. I nodded when our eyes met, dismissing his apology.

"What are the updates?" I asked. I was absolutely pissed, and although I tried hiding it, the frustration was heard in my voice.

He sighed, "We are where we are."

The anger coursed up my veins again. My first thought is violence, a sudden thought that flickers through my mind-- to get up and smack his head on the table. But to mercilessly beat up a private section officer wasn't really the best solution after being arrested by the police twice.

"It's three fucking months. You're a detective, Smaran," I rendered, "Do something; find her."

He seemed annoyed as well, "Yes, Mr. Malhotra. That is exactly what we're trying to do since the past three months. And, you're not being any help as well. I could find her only if you allow me to."

"I have given you permission to do everything. Every-fucking-thing. But after all this time, you still give me nothing. How the fuck is that my fault?" I retorted.

"Oh, really?" Smaran rolled his eyes, "Let's go down the memory lane, Manik. It's three months since Nandini Murthy left. It's three months since Mukti vanished. We have no records on Abhimanyu anywhere. It's two months since Fab5, your friends, disbanded. Aliya is in Paris, Navya returned to her parents, Aryamman has no clue, and Cabir is tight lipped. You have no other connections. Where do we go? Everywhere we go is a dead end."

I closed my eyes, trying to talk calmly, "Thank you for reminding me the events of the past three months. Your point being...?"

"Mr. Sass Malhotra, my point being, you can't expect me to find Mukti unless I have all of you back to Mumbai." He snorted. "You realise this-- y'all are what-- Eighteen? Nineteen? Look at yourselves! You are going to heir a fucking company in London next month, were almost about to have a family. Two of your friends are engaged. One is missing. Two are not talking to you. One has left, and two are most probably dead. What the fuck are you doing with your lives? Y'all are teenagers!" he replied hysterically.

"I know that," I retorted. "I know we are teenagers but not everyone has an easy life. For everyone, being a teenager does not mean having friends and enjoying life. Some of us don't get to make choices, you see? We have to live with the choices that are made for us. I never wanted this life; but guess what? I have to live with it."

He took a deep breath, trying to calm himself. "Okay, let's get back to the case. We have to find Mukti. Mukti's missing," He reminded himself.

"And you are unable to find her since the last three months," I added, taunting.

"I would have," he replied with sweet sarcasm, "Only if you and your mind blowing friends would have cooperated."

I ignored his accusation. "Do we have any suspects?" I ask.

"Two," he repeated like every time, "First, Harshad Malik: the guy who almost harassed Nandini in the club, got arrested, then got out under medical bail because you decided to beat him up and then, came out and caused you know what."