Breaking (Losing)

1140 Words excluding (A/N)~ Berry no owns MK/DC~

Ah this saga is Berry's current priority XD
Thankfully it's a oneshot book that has no schedule so berry doesn't feel pressured as much to keep chapters in reserve~

Another longer than usual chappy...

Written: August 24 2019

Part 3 of Breaking

Ginzo clenched his fists as he wearily glanced out his bedroom window, hoping against all odds that a light would flicker on within the Kuroba household. It would mean that Kaito was home, safe and sound. Not unofficially missing like he currently was. Kaito hadn't been seen in little over two weeks, not since that heist.

"After him!" Ginzo called, pointing towards Kid's retreating form as the white cape disappeared behind a corner. It was the first heist in a while since that night where Kaito had almost broken completely. The mischief maker had heeded his words and had taken a small hiatus from his nightly activities. The heist wasn't one of Kid's best ones, but definitely wasn't one of his worst.

It was refreshing to see Kaito slightly more energetic than the previous days, it helped him to feel slightly less miffed about the squelching goop sloshing in his shoes. Only a little though, it was still nasty and would take hours to properly clean out.

When he'd made it up to the roof he couldn't help a predatory smirk from crossing over his face. Something about the chase just got his adrenaline levels up. The wind was too strong for Kid's hang glider and the building was too high to jump from. Kid was seemingly trapped.

A small part of him felt a thrum of fear at the prospect of Kaito being caught, being put in jail, being murdered and left to die all alone within his cell. But that was quickly smothered by his faith in Kid's skills. Kid would somehow escape and Ginzo would do his damn best to hinder the thief. Appearances were vital, the training even more so. He couldn't afford to allow Kid to become complacent. A complacent thief could easily become a dead thief.

"So it seems as if we're at an impasse gentlemen" Kid's suave voice echoed across the rooftop, there was no trace of the hurt Kaito within that demeanour. It was both freaky and impressive as he imagined Kid's civilian persona's  frayed mental state.

Ginzo straightened his posture slightly, moving his foot forwards a bit to assert himself in a dominant yet cocky stance. "No, not an impasse" He breathed, excitement buzzing under his skin as he tilted his head to the side. "You're finally under arrest Kaitou Kid" He added, fingers twitching towards the set of handcuffs clipped onto his belt.

A wry grin spread across the thief's shadowed face before he opened his mouth to respond. What happened next was a blur, one second he was in a standoff against Kid, the next he'd heard a sharp popping noise before being bowled over.

White filled his vision before he shoved the weight off of him. His mind seemed to go numb when he finally realized just who he'd shoved off of him. "K-Kid..." The inspector gasped, mouth dry as he identified the white figure now sprawled across his lap. Panic threatened to seize him, though his hands were already trembling at the swiftly growing red stain. Kid had been shot in the chest, Kaito had taken a shot meant for him. Kaito was bleeding out.

He hissed out protective snarl through clenched teeth as his gaze pierced his surrounding for the one who Ki— Hurt Kaito. The silly magician wasn't dead yet, and he wasn't going to be anytime soon. Ginzo refused to allow it. "GET THAT BASTARD!" He snarled, pointing at the silhouette before swiftly applying pressure onto Kaito's wound. He could trust his men to go after the dangerous threat, Kaito needed him.

"Keibu..." Kaito's voice was watery, blood staining his lips.

"Damn it, shut up you idiot!" Ginzo growled, his voice void of the implied anger. Blood from the mouth meant lung shot right? Talking would only injure Kaito further before help arrived. Ginzo's eyes were stinging, he wasn't used to this much blood, especially on Kaito. It was so much more worse on Kaito.

"Go..." Ginzo scowled at the idiotic request, he couldn't just leave him, not Kaito. Never Kaito.

"I told you to shut up" Ginzo huffed, ignoring how warm the blood felt between his fingers.

"Catch him!" Kaito hacked out a few wet coughs from the effort. "I'll be fine... You can't help me" Ginzo looked into hazy indigos before turning away. He bit his lip hard enough to draw blood. The stupid kid was right, if Ginzo took him to the hospital, Kaito would be arrested then later killed in jail. He knew that Kaitou Kid had a bunch of dangerous people gunning for him. A hospital would be a death sentence, but wouldn't leaving him also damn Kaito's chance of survival? A trembling hand covered his own, causing Ginzo to once again meet indigos "Trust me..."

He clasped the hand before quickly releasing it and standing up, a blind anger burning within him. "Fine, damn it!" He hissed before pointing an accusing finger at the thief "But you better fucking survive! If you don't I'll—" He stalked off, a low whine in his throat at the memory of the bloody smile he'd been given.

Kaito was Kid, he had to have countless connections, ones that would save him in time right? Ginzo couldn't do a damn thing, but maybe they could. He swallowed a lump in his throat as he ran off, he had to trust Kaito.

When he'd returned to the roof, there was no sign of the bloodied thief, nor of any blood. The only remainder of those horrible moments was the blood drying onto his own clothes.

The next morning Ginzo settled on the couch, Aoko has already gone to school and he didn't really have any work to do. He'd already thrown himself into it in an attempt to bide time until he was Kaito. It had helped him to not break down at the possibility that his honorary son had died. But now he was out of paperwork and forced to stay home.

Ginzo sighed when he heard a knock on the door, he didn't really want to get up. He was comfy and miserable but he did get up. He opened the door "What do yo—" His voice caught in his throat at the sight of Kaito. He was alive! The little bastard actually made it! He was horribly pale and looked like he'd lost over 10 pounds, but he was alive. "You bastard!" Ginzo choked, gently grabbing Kaito and pulling him into a hug.

"Keibu!" Kaito whined, squirming like he wanted to escape. With a small chuckle Ginzo released him, not wanting Kaito to further injure himself with an escape attempt. Kaito blinked and held out a small bag of Kyoto specific candies "I brought you and Aoko some souvenirs" Kaito offered, Ginzo snorted. Souvenirs, so that's the official cover story.

Me: There is at least 1 more part of 'breaking' maybe two... Just gotta collect ideas to see which ones to use and put together~

Hope you enjoyed~