Chapter 10 - Roone

Start from the beginning

The rules of the game are rather simple - evade all obstacles and get to the finish line in time. However, they skipped the part where we might lose a limb while trying to run for our lives. I'm thrilled and scared at the same time, trying to avoid all the traps they've set for us. The adrenaline takes control over my body, elevating me further up. I see a shadow moving in the corner of my eye, yet when I take a glimpse in its direction, I see Elias getting hit by a flying projectile. He falls a few feet down, hitting the hard platform bellow. I hear him groan, and as much as I'd like to go and help him, I have my own problems to face.

A large, solid ball is bouncing down towards me, at an alarming speed, and I have nowhere to escape, but for a slip in the wall, far to my right. I jump just before it smashes the platform I am on, grabbing the small opening with my hands, and stroking my body to the rough concrete. The hit makes my ears buzz so loud I almost lose my grip, yet I can still hear the crowd going haywire and chanting my name.

Blondie is dodging a bigger obstacle not far from where I stand, crawling up skillfully and stealing all the attention. He's almost at the top now. I hate to admit that he is better than I thought. His geeky appearance has totally fooled me. Who would have guessed that under that dull uniform, he's hiding an army class of strength?

'Roone! Watch out!'

Matt is yelling my name, alerting me I have exactly half a second left to hop onto the moving platform to my left until it completely disappears into the wall. I take the leap, and then I quickly start climbing the steps that mount me next to Nathan. We reach the finish line at the exactly same time, although I manage to raise myself up a few moments before him.

'Well done!' He utters bitterly after he joins me on top, clearly vexed he didn't win this time.

'I bet you hate losing' I itch so badly to say it to his face, but instead I go for a simple nod. The truth is, so do I.

Matt and Elias jump over the ridge at once, followed by the others.

'What the heck was that?' The younger soldier asks, no one in particular, his face reddened due to the high intensity of the exercise.

'Great comeback, kid!' Matt exclaims, patting him on the back.

'Yeah, although it might have cost me a rib or two!' Elias jokes, still, I am not sure how badly his injuries actually are.

We shake hands with the rest of the team, and congratulate each other for a great game. I don't know if it's the adrenaline talking, but the others seem genuinely proud of our performance. Maybe they are not so different from us after all. Maybe we just had to earn their respect first. I shrug my shoulders at the thought, not really giving a damn about it.

People are cheering and clapping, creating chaos in such an orderly seating arrangement. Nerissa is making her way through the exit, rather aggressively for her delicate figure. I stop paying attention to the guy I was talking to before. Now that I've found her, my eyes were on her. She's like a fish swimming in rough waters, although the storm is getting worse, almost eating her up. Trapped, she follows the cause of the havoc all the way up to where we stand. I take a bow in her direction, holding her stare and hoping that my gesture will break the ice between us. Instead, it has quite the opposite effect, as she's rudely ignoring all my efforts and rushes towards the exit.

'That must be a god damn iceberg hiding under that thick ice.' The words pop out of my mouth, while I keep gawking at the same spot where she stood just a few seconds ago.

The timer comes to a stop, followed by the same deafening sound, announcing the end of the match. The nanites get back to work transforming the arena back into bright seamless white as it was before the game.

'You look like you want to punch someone.' Matt's annoying power of observation brings me back to Earth.

Lost for words, I throw him a cold stare instead and follow the others to the glass lift cabin.

'Careful, there!' He puts his hand on my shoulder, slowing me down. Then, in a hushed, but patronizing voice, he continues. 'If I didn't know you, I would say she hurt your feelings!'

'And if you don't back off right now, I'll use you as my punching bag!' I hiss back, pissed off and eager to blow off some steam.

'I was just saying!' He mocks, his hands raised in surrender.

As we go up, a disturbing thought fills up my mind. He can't be right, can he? But then, I shake it off as quickly as it has formed. I've always hated this soul-searching crap. Things are always either black or white with me. The grey in between is only confusion. Besides, that would mean I actually cared, and I know too well that's not the case. Nerissa is just my mission, and that's it. Who cares if she ignores me? I scoff at the thought.

Everything dissipates as soon as we get back in the lockers room, and the celebratory atmosphere takes over again. Everyone is excited about how great the game was, praising and patting our backs.

'Where have you been this whole time?' Jonas or James remarks enthusiastically, then he throws his arm behind my neck and pulls me closer. 'Hey, you should come to the party tonight!' He continues, looking at the others and waiting for their approval.

'Yeah, you totally should! We are all going.' Another guy with a buzz cut intervenes, followed by a series of 'yeahs' from the others.

It looks like we gained their trust, enough for us to be invited to an illicit event. Matt and Elias both stare at me with puppy dog eyes. It's my call and they know it. Parties here on Earth are illegal and if we get caught, we might face exile. However, Matt's subject, Nathan, is going and I won't stand between him and his assignment. Who knows, maybe it could be fun and I really need a break from my pain-in-the-ass mission.

'We'll go!' I finally agree, sounding all excited to match the general mood.

Elias jumps at me, pulling on my neck.

'That's my man!' He yells, smiling with all his teeth.

I hear Blondie muffle something, his head hidden in his locker. I guess the aversion towards each other is mutual. Oh well, what can I do?

...
(I am so glad you are enjoying my story! Please vote and comment on your favourite paragraph. I'd love to hear your thoughts and your constructive feedback. Also, don't forget to share it with your friends! Love you all <3)