The Girl in the Tower Chap 18

Please read my "About Me" for full details on any and all disclaimers

Chapter Eighteen: A Veil of Tears

Draco,

I seems your letter came just a little too late. The Headmaster and I found the box where you said it would be, and all I can say is that I wish I had known sooner. I don't know what good it would have done, for I was on my way to kill him myself when the news came. However, I'm sorry about your loss. You know she never meant to hurt you.

I really don't know what to say. I feel I should speak on Sara's behalf, but how could I? She's gone, you know. She left me, left all of us in fact, without a word or indication. She told only Snape and he foolishly kept her secret. What is it about Sara that seems to have such an effect on Slytherins? Between you and Snape, I don't know who is more easily persuaded. Sometimes, Malfoy, keeping your word is the wrong thing to do. Sara's silence is what brought us to this.

Sara has asked that no one write to her. Try if you want, but I sent Hedwig out yesterday evening and she hasn't come back. I think Sara left Great Britton. The locaters we got for Christmas say she's "Traveling". Don't blame her for this, Draco. She did what she had to do.

If you know anything else that may help shed some light, please send an owl.

HP

Harry folded the parchment, sealed the envelope, and took it to the owlry. He'd written to Malfoy on the stationery Sara had ordered for the cottage. With help from Ron and Hermione, they had created a crest for the future Potter household. It was the shape of his scar dividing the Gryffindor scarlet and gold. He had objected at first, until Sara explained that the complex symbol on her spell book was the old symbol for Elemental. The more current one was a lightning bolt.

The memory twisted something in his chest and he walked with his head down. We're meant for each other. He thought, Could it be more obvious? How many people coincidentally have matching symbols?

He didn't know why he'd used the stationary. He'd even searched through his trunk for it when there was plain paper right out on the desk. Perhaps he'd just wanted to send expensive parchment, but maybe he wanted Malfoy to understand that he'd lost something dear to him, too.

He watched the owl fly off with it in the dark. The night was warm and clear, a gentle breeze blowing in off the lake. He stood just outside the door, barefoot on the carpet and still wearing the rumpled black pajamas. His hair was a shock of tangles, his eyes sunken and dark beneath his glasses. Harry suddenly longed to be on his broom, roaming freely through the night sky amid the stars. He needed to feel fresh air on his skin, let it whip through his hair as he pushed the Mach 2 to it's limits. He returned to the tower at once.

With a light robe over his silk pajamas and sneakers on sock-less feet, Harry shouldered his backpack and glanced over to make sure the note was still propped on the table. It was there. It said only "I'll be back later."

Gracefully he kicked off and took to the air, heading south at nearly the speed of sound, the wind stinging his eyes even behind his glasses. Harry pushed the broom harder, willing it to carry him faster.

* * *

"I'm glad you're awake." Mr. Sanders said when she'd opened her eyes. He sat in the chair by the bed, wondering what to do if she didn't wake up. "You've been out for a long time."

"How long?" Her voice was parched, her head heavy.

"Damn near 24 hours. I've never seen anyone sleep that long who wasn't in a coma. Sara, are you sick? If you are you need to tell me."