Subelements part 2

Wendy pov:

I smiled brightly as I walked down the crowded city. Bolin and mako walked behind me. Bolin was teaching me how to fight, I wasn't as good as sister but maybe one day I would be able to help her like she did with me. I liked the city, it was big, but not too big. The people were nice but not overly so, and no city was complete without its shady underground networks. I was helping mako get something for asomi. Her birthday was coming up, I wanted to get her something nice too.

"Ok, let's look in here." Mako said, I smiled at the shops that littered down the street. I was a bit nervous, it looks like a good place it get lost. But I was working on being more confident in new places. I tried taking some large breaths before I walking into the crowded alleyway. The people talked to bolin and mako like they were old friends. They tried to get me to join in but I was too nervous. Sometimes I found it odd how nice they were too me, Scarlett said that when people have suffered so much they never want to see others suffer. I could relate to that, and it could explain why they were so kind. Smiling I saw something that I though she would like. I walked over to the booth. It was made green and red glass spiraling a bronze teardrop. It looked beautiful, I pulled out the money they had given me. The shop keeper was very nice. She smiled as she handed me the necklace, I smiled back, hiding my beating heart. It was hard, but I felt somehow if I kept smiling that I would finally be able to do it for real.
"Ok mako I found my gift... " I trailed off when I noticed that mako and bolin were gone. An enormous wave of fear crashed over me. I was alone. I took a deep breath in, held it, then let it out. Sister said it was a calming technic. I slowly moved away from my spot to an alley. I didn't have good history with alleyways, but I was away from the people. My mind was racing a mile a minute. What should I do, were should I go. Would they look for me, would they care of I got lost. What if sister got in trouble, she would think I was dead. Tears started to blur my vision.
"Excuse me, are you alright" a deep voice said. I looked up to see a man in a business staring at me. I grabbed knife in my sleeve, just in case... "Are you lost, you seem upset" he asked. He did not see the knife. He might leave if I pulled it out. I decided to keep it hidden.
"No I'm fine, thank you" I said. I felt like I knew him. But where I knew him from was a mystery to me.
"You don't look ok. Please, I would like to help you" he replied. I hid my frown. Why did he act so kind, maybe he was kind... No. I would never fall into a mans trap again.
"Daddy, what are doing, mommy wants to go see korra park." A small child came up. She looked confused when she saw me. The man smirked at his daughter. Then looked back at me.
"Are sure you are not lost" he said. My head was screaming at me not to trust this man, but my heart was less sure on what I should do.
"I could use some help finding my friends" I said quietly. Looking way, I was surprised when the little girl ran up and grabbed my hand.
"We are here to help, I promise" she said. I felt relived, small steps. Small steps towards the light.
The family was nice. The mother kept smiling at me when ever I got tense, and the father looked for mako and bolin. But the biggest help was the child. Her name was Cindy, and she held my hand and wouldn't let got.
"Wendy! Wendy over here!" I turned my head to see bolin and mako running towards us.
"Hello, I hope you are the friends she is looking for. The poor girl looked very afraid all by herself, so I figured I would help her out" the man said. Bolin smiled at the family.
"Thank you so much, but we need to be going" mako said. I let go of the little girls hand. She waved goodbye. It was a small step, and perhaps with out that little girl I might not have taken it. But I smiled back at her, feeling happy at my first victory.