three

The reporter on the morning news informs us that yet another victim, the fifth to be exact, of the Cutthroat Killer has been found, while footage of police cars and ambulances flashs on screen. I frown and crack my knuckles, a nervous habit of mine. "Well, at least I'm not a prostitute.." I mutter to myself. Suddenly, my phone lights up and starts vibrating. I press the green answer button. "Yo, Brendon, you wanna go out with me and Jon tonight?" My friend Spencer asks loudly. "Sure dude. What time?" "We'll pick you up like 8" He replies. "Cool okay. See you then" "Bye!" I hang up. I don't know why I agreed to go out on a Thursday night, but I can't back out now.

Time for work, I suppose. At least it's almost Friday. I stand up and walk into my kitchen for some coffee, already dressed for my job at the record shop. "I need my coffee in the morning baby, if i dont have it, it'll drive me crazy.." I sing to myself, pouring the hot liquid into a mug.

time skip-7:50 pm

I'm dressed in black jeans, with a black t-shirt and a red flannel. A casual outfit for a night you on the town. I walk into the bathroom and fluff up my dark brown hair one more time. Just then, I hear a car honking from outside. I chuckle to myself and grab my keys, phone, and wallet. "Hey guys!" I open the backseat door and slide in. "Ayy! Bren! What's up, man? Haven't seen you in forever!" Jon says from the passenger seat. "Hell yeah, dude. So where we goin?" I ask as we start to drive away. "This new place, called The Highrise Club." "Ooh, sounds fancy." I joke.

time skip

Both Jon and Spencer were drunk out of their minds. I was pretty close to shitfaced as well. "Fuck, dude, we don't have a designated driver." I slurred. "I'll call an Uber!" Spencer shouts over the loud music.

Eventually, the club closes, around 4 am. We stumble out of the building. Spencer gets his phone out and, with some struggle, manages to call us an Uber.

The car arrives in about 20 minutes. Jon spits out the address of his own house and soon we're on our way. I don't even register the fact that I'll probably have no way home tomorrow.

The minute we get there, we pass out. Jon on the couch, Spencer on the floor, and me on the other side of the couch. 

~

My body wakes me up at 5:23 am, according to my watch. I groan and roll over, my head pounding. The two other men are still out cold. God, who goes out drinking on Thursday night? I think to myself. Slowly, I stand up and stretch. I don't have any time to go home before work.. fuck.. I look around for my phone. When I find it, I try to turn it on, but of course, its dead. I go into the bathroom and take a piss. Then I look around for some Advil, which I quickly locate.

After making myself look as presentable as possible, I exit Jon's apartment, the cold morning air hitting my face.

I fiddled with the hem of my jacket, feeling anxious. It felt like someone was watching me. The sky was getting lighter but the sun hadn't quiet risen. The street I was walking down was completely empty.

Suddenly, I feel myself being yanked into an allyway. Instinct kicks in and I thrash my arms, jamming my elbows into whatever surface I could reach and yelling for help. I can't do this again. I won't let anyone hurt me like he did. My attacker is much stronger however. I feel a small pricking sensation on my neck and then everything goes dark.