seventeen

I haven't heard from Dallon all day. Until I got a call during work. The store isn't very busy right now, so I answer. "Hello?" "Uh, yeah, hey Bren. So I may or may not be at the police station. They want to question me." he says. "They what?!" I whisper yell. "I- I got picked up last night, they didn't let me call until this morning. I don't know what's happening, Brendon!" Dallon explains, a hint of panic in his voice. I remember something he told me a while back, in case he ever got detained.

"Brendon, if I ever get arrested, and they bring you in for questioning, would you be.. uh... willing to l-lie?" he asks nervously. My jaw drops a little.

"To the police?"

He nods, looking at me with his blue-gray eyes open wide.

I look down at the floor for a second, then slowly nod. "Yes."

11 hours previous (12 am)
Dallon's POV

I stop my car on the side of the street, leaving the headlights on. A group of three women stands at the corner. One of them breaks away from the group and walks toward me.

"Hey sugar." She says, leaning her elbows on the open car window.  "Hey yourself. How much do you charge?" I ask. "25 for an hour." She replies, chewing her gum loudly. I look away for just a second, and notice one of the prostitutes is writing something down on a scrap of paper. A cold sense of dread washes over me, but I ignore it. And ignoring it may have been the single worst decision of my life.