forty-three

Start from the beginning

"I need you to alert all the nearby hospitals that we've got incoming, they need to prep the trauma units. Notify all police stations and fire departments in the vicinity, we need to be able to reach any survivors immediately,"

The policemen and the doctors nodded their heads quickly before running off to follow Nathan's orders. He turned back to face his fiance, who gave him a nod.

"The team will be here soon, Tony and I are going to try and find a way to stop him from opening the portal. If not, containment is going to be our best bet,"

"Strange is here, along with a couple other highly ranked surgeons," Nate told her. "I'll have them prepared and ready for all incoming patients. I'm going to assemble the ground units, head out in case there's anyone who can't be transported and needs medical attention on the scene."

Deli's face softened at his words, worry clouding her eyes as she took a step back from him.

"If you're going out there...be careful, please. Aurora needs her dad,"

"I'm not the one that could be flying around in a hunk of metal shooting down aliens," Nathan joked, a sad smile on his lips. "She needs her mom, too, Deli."

"Her mom has a job to do,"

"Well, so does her dad," Nathan backed away from his fiance. "Go do your job, Deli. I'll see you when the fight is over."

Without a second of hesitation, Audelia's mask came back down over her face as she flew out of the hospital doors once more, papers flying everywhere. Nathan let out a small smile as he watched her go before turning around, barking out orders to all those standing around him.

Inside Stark Tower, Tony Stark had his eyes trained cautiously on Loki across the living room as he poured himself a small glass of scotch. Loki had a smirk on his face as he turned to look out the windows of the living room to the sky.

"The Chitauri are coming...nothing will change that," Loki turned to face the man at the bar. "What have I to fear?"

"The Avengers," Tony looked up from his drink to Loki's face. "That's what we call ourselves, sorta like a team. Earth's mightiest heroes, that sort of thing."

"I've met them,"

"Yeah," Tony let out a short laugh, sneakily reaching under the table as he fastened the wristbands of the Mark 7 armor to his wrists. He took a split second to look at the display screen on the counter, seeing a message from Dell that said she was in the lab and booting up her Mark 4 armor. "Takes us a little while to get any traction, I'll give you that, but let's do a head count, shall we? Your brother, the demi-god. The super soldier, living legend, who kind of lives up to the legend. A man with breathtaking anger management issues. The super hot love of my life who looks wonderful in purple and gold, might I say, followed by a couple of master assassins. And you, big fella, have managed to piss off every single one of them."

"That was the plan-"

"Not a great plan," Tony interjected with a wag of his finger, taking a sip of his drink as he walked around the counter. "When they come, and they will, they'll come for you."

"I have an army,"

"We have a Hulk,"

"I thought the beast had wandered off-"

"You're missing the point," Tony interjected once more as he descended the steps toward the god. "There's no throne, there is no version of this where you come out on top. Maybe your army comes, and maybe it's too much for us, but it's all on you. Because if we can't protect the earth, you can be damn well sure we'll avenge it."