"Hey, Lydia," he greeted her, a strained smile forced onto his lips. He did that a lot. Fake smiles for everyone to hide the fact that he hardly ever slept and was in a perpetual state of grouchiness. He did it so people wouldn't worry about him, though Lydia still did.

"Hi Isaac." She smiled genuinely back at him. Empathy was both a gift and a curse, and Lydia had a lot of it. She switched her gaze back to Scott, his annoyingly long hair a tangled mess - a result of that afternoon's Quidditch practice, probably. He shot her a charming, thousand-watt smile.

"Why aren't you lot having dinner?" she inquired, eyebrows raised delicately. "I thought teenage boys never stopped eating."

The trio shifted uncertainly, glancing at each other for ideas.

"Lost my... wand," Danny finally blurted, looking to a surprised Scott for confirmation. "Yeah, we thought some Slytherins might have hidden it so... we went looking for it." He shrugged. "Guess it's not here."

He tugged on Scott's sleeve as a sign to follow him, taking a step forward to leave. Lydia stepped in front of them, blocking the way out.

"You do realize your wand is currently poking out of your sock, don't you?" A smile worked it's way across her face as she took in their reactions.

"I- shit." Danny glanced down to see the handle of his wand sticking out of the top of his sock, wincing slightly as Scott flicked his forehead in exasperation.

"Well... uh... honestly, Martin. Can't a group of friends simply take a leisurely stroll around the castle without being interrogated?" Scott feigned innocence, widening his eyes and pouting a little.

"A group of friends, sure," she responded, shrugging. "But last time I checked, there were four of you in your little... pack." Her eyes flicked over each of their faces. "Moony... Wormtail... Padfoot... but no Prongs?" She cocked her head to the side mockingly. "Where ever could he be?"

The boys looked to each other nervously, before Scott's voice cut short the other two's uncertain mumbles.

"Library," he said brightly. "Studying, you know. He's... ah, very... studious."

"Or," suggested Lydia, "Stilinski is actually right behind me with that damn invisibility cloak of his."

Scott's eyes widened in surprise, involuntarily looking over Lydia's shoulder at the apparently empty corridor behind her.

"W-what invisibility cloak?" he managed to say, swallowing hard at the unimpressed look on her face.

"I think she means this one, Padfoot." The cheerful voice echoed around the empty space as Stiles Stilinski appeared out of thin air, holding up a shimmering piece of fabric with a grin.

Lydia didn't turn around, instead raising an eyebrow at Scott's stammered attempts at explanations.

"Don't worry, McCall, she found out about it a few nights ago." Stiles joined the huddled group, elbowing Lydia in the ribs jokingly. She shot him a look of ice, and his smile dropped for a second before quickly returning.

"I fell asleep in the common room. Studying." She looked at Scott pointedly.

"And I was on my way out to go see the house elves," Stiles continued, "when I tripped over Martin's monstrous pile of books and woke her up."

"And I found it a bit strange that half of one of his legs was missing, so he had to tell me." Lydia finished. Scott shot a glare at Stiles.

"Why didn't you just lie, dickhead?" Scott demanded in annoyance. Stiles snorted, eyeing the little redhead who was currently glowering at his best friend with venom in her eyes.