Julez nodded grinning. "It's true. She's gotten me in trouble so many times. They don't even need to ask her anything. She'd just run up to them like 'I HAVE A SECRET'. It's crazy."

I laughed. I could totally imagine it. Blue running with her arms outstretched, screaming out the secrets she'd just promised to keep.

"Exactly, that's why I need you, kid." I lightly punched his arm.

He nodded. "Yeah, plus, we're only four years apart. My mom and your mom are five years apart, and they're best friends. You think we'll be like that?"

I smiled, nodding. "Definitely." I made a face. "But that would make me Beyoncé."

He raised an eyebrow slightly. "What's with you and Aunty Bey?"

I sighed and looked away. "I don't know. We've never really gotten along."

"Well maybe you need to start fresh, because I think she's really cool."

I shrugged. "I just think my dad's cooler."

Julez shrank down. I raised my eyebrow. "What's with the face?"

He shrugged, looking away. I frowned. He was hiding something.

"What happened? Does it have something to do with why you were so upset before?" I searched his face. He shrugged again. I grabbed his chin, forcing him to look at me.

"Hey, we just talked about how we're partners in crime now. If you did something wrong, you can tell me. I won't tell anyone. Promise. You're my little cousin. I'll always protect you."

He frowned up at me, a determined look in his eyes. "I know. We're cousins. That's why I'm protecting you."

I stared down at him apprehensively. "What happened, Julez?"

He crumbled under my gaze, bottom lip trembling. "Please don't make me tell you, Sarayah. Please. Everyone's coming tomorrow. This will just ruin everything. I promise I'll tell you after, but I want to forget about it for now."

I frowned. He looked so scared. I groaned. I hated when people did this: tell you they have a secret, then refuse to tell you. The curiosity would eat me alive, but I knew I shouldn't push him. He was finally feeling better. I didn't want to be the one who brought him back down. I sighed.

"Okay," I consented grudgingly.

He grinned and squeezed me. I smiled and squeezed him back, tightly.

"Mercy! Mercy!" He yelled, laughing. I let him go.

"Thanks, coz." He held out his fist, and I dapped him. He smiled and left, shutting the door behind him.

...

The day of the barbecue I woke up to the sound of pots and pans being moved around. I reached for my phone to check the time. I groaned when I remembered I didn't have one anymore. You'd think I would have learned by now.

I rolled over and looked at the alarm clock on the nightstand. 10:09 am. I sat up, confused as to why people were making so much noise, so early. I walked into the hall and peeked my head out. There was no one there. I walked over to Julez's room and knocked lightly. I poked my head in and saw Julez under the covers, still sleeping. I shrugged and started to walk out.

"Hey, get in here and shut the door," he whispered fiercely.

I turned back around to see Julez sitting up in bed, covers thrown to the side, holding his Nintendo DS. I closed the door and sat on the bed.

I peered at him curiously. "I thought you were asleep."

He smiled. "Good, that was the point. You've been gone for a while, so I'll help you catch up."