Harry Potter And The Silver Doe (Part Thirteen)

Harry stepped forwards, his eyes tearing away from Ginny's wondering face and resting on the Weasley brothers. "I know how much you guys hate Draco, and I used to hate him as much, but he really has changed!" Draco looked down at his feet awkwardly as the crowd around him scowled furiously.

"Harry, have you completely lost your mind?" Ron whispered, searching Harry's face with intensecuriosity.

"Seriously, when are you going to forgive and forget?" But it was not Harry defending Malfoy this time. Ginny stepped forwards, spinning to face her brothers as she continued. "I believe Harry. Can't you see that he's telling the truth? It's as clear as the gormless looks on your faces." And to Harry's surprise, Ginny spun around and hugged Malfoy stiffly, holding him awkwardly in her long arms. Even so, Harry could've sworn he heard her whisper;

"And if you ever curse me again, I will punch you so hard you'll taste blood for a month... and then curse you..." Releasing Draco, Ginny spun back, her hair flying out behind her and shimmering in the afternoon sun. Her brothers looked torn, each of them scrutinizing Malfoys flushed face. The muscles in Ron's neck worked furiously and his ears glowed scarlet, but Hermione's gentle hand on his arm restrained him. Bill and Charlie stood, obviously aware of the tense atmosphere butstrangelycalm. George on the other hand, ignoring Angelina's calming hand in his, through his whole body into a punch, which landed full on Malfoy's cheek.

"That's for Dumbledore. And now I can forgive you." George spat angrily while Malfoy rubbed his face, dazed.

"I deserved that." He mumbled, looking at Harry for support. Feeling obliged to stop this abuse, Harry turned to George.

"Okay, so it's settled. Malfoy is one of us now, okay? None of us will turn our wands on him, and if anyone else hits him, he is quite within his right to retaliate. Happy?" Harry locked eyes with each person in turn, all of them nodding slightly under his heavy gaze. McGonagall's voice echoed gloomily around the ornate room and Harry realised how late it was.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, Please make your way to the seating outside, the... the funerals will commence shortly." A tremor of movement fell across the hall as everyone rose mournfully to their feet and began heading for the doors. As Harry and Ginny began to walk outside, Professor McGonagall called them back.

"Um, I'm sorry about the short notice, but would it be possible for you to say something on behalf of Remus and Nymphadora? And the others if you wish." Tears glistened in Minerva's eyes and Harry nodded mutely "And Ginerva, if you would say something on behalf of your brother?" Ginny's mouth dropped open and she shook her head slightly.

"I...I couldn't... I... It's too..." Ginny stammered and Harry watched the fight in her head.

"You wouldn't be alone Ginny, I'd be there with you... If you wanted?" He offered and her head whipped round, as though she'd just realised the hand she was holding were his.

"You... You'd do that for me?" She looked genuinely pleased and Harry's heart swelled.

"Of course."

"Yeah, please! Would you?" Ginny smiled timidly and McGonagall patted both their shoulders.

"Thankyou, both of you, it would mean the World to them, I know." And the three of them made their way after the crowds, going to say goodbye.

"And now, there are some people who wish to say a separate goodbye personally." The small man at the front said wispily, his hands folded carefully in front of his black robes. Harry rose to his feet numbly, Ginny by his side and looked around at the other's who were on their feet... But there was no-one else. They walked together down the aisle, the evening air breathing coolly around their ankles. Ginny stepped up to the side of the tomb, her hands shaking in Harry's.

"In every great victory, there have been sacrifices to be made. Unfortunately, we too have had to make these sacrifices, one of them being my brother Fred. All of them were great witches and wizards and they died a heroes death, no matter what the circumstances. Each of them gave everything they had so that we could be free, so that we can live the life that they had cut short. So we should honour them in any way we can, give them the respect that they deserve and say goodbye in the only way we can." Tears flowed freely down Ginny's pale face and Harry squeezed her hand encouragingly. "My brother Fred loved his family, especially his brother George, and he didn't deserve to be killed. But who of our casualties did? I love you Fred, I'm proud of you. Give 'em hell for us Fred!" Ginny whispered and George stood up in the audience, his face glistening with salty tears.

"Hear Hear!" He called, his voice cracking and Harry smiled warmly at Ginny, who collapsed sobbing into his chest. He rubbed her back gently until she stood, tall and proud, her eyes distant as she silently said goodbye to the lost. Harry realised he was due to speak now.

"We suffered great losses in this, the Battle of Hogwarts, and it is with great regret that we say goodbye to some of the best people the wizarding world has to offer. Remus and Nymphadora Lupin, both long committed to the fight against Voldemort are among them. Remus was loyal and brave, and he loved his family and friends dearly, as did Tonks. Their son, Teddy, will grow up knowing the wonderful, fiercely loyal people his parents were, even though they won't be around to see him grow up. The time will not condemn them, nor weary them and they and all the others will forever be remembered as talented, brave people that helped rid the World of the greatest evil that ever walked upon it. Every day that closes, every night that passes, we will remember them and the ultimate sacrifice that they gave for us." Harry closed his eyes and breathed out gently, his voice quavering. Taking his wand from inside his robes silently, he held it in the air. The tip glowed gently, casting a light into the darkening sky. He felt Ginny do the same and a profound silence hushed the air as one-by-one, the audience followed him. Every wand of every witch or wizard was raised into the air, sending a silent yet beautiful tribute to the heavens for those lost in their victory...