Harry Potter And The Silver Doe (Part Eight)

Watching the five brothers standing over him menacingly, Harry realised he had never wanted to be accepted and trusted as much as now. The silence was overwhelming and Harry bit nervously on his lip as they came to a conclusion. Slowly Ron extended a hand to help Harry up, and Harry breathed a great sigh of relief, allowing his best friend to pull him to his feet.

"Harry, you are my best mate and everything, but I swear, if you hurt her I will kick my foot so hard up your butt you'll taste rubber for a week. Okay?" Ron said seriously and Harry smiled.

"Would you ever hurt Hermione?" Harry asked simply and Ron looked aghast at the very thought.

"Of course not, she means far too much to me!"

"Well, in that case, you have your answer. Save your shoes." Harry grinned and Ron smiled back understandingly.

"Welcome to the family then Potter." Charlie chuckled, holding out his tanned hand to Harry. In a very formal way, Harry shook his hand solemnly before repeating this gesture with each of the other brothers. When he reached Ron again he was pulled roughly into a hug.

"Now, if you don't mind, I think I'd better get back to Ginny. Before you all kick my butt. Like you could!" He grinned cheekily and ran off as both George and Bill lunged for him, colliding in the air and falling to the floor in a tangled heap.

"So, how was the manly chat?" Ginny teased as Harry sat down next to her again.

"Absolutely terrifying. I never realised your brothers could be so scary!" He pretended to shiver and Ginny punched him playfully.

"Don't, I'm glad they did talk to you, however uncomfortable you were. Maybe it'll make you think twice before leaving me!"

"Yes, because the wrath of your brothers is the thing that would have me most worried if I ever left you. I personally would be more concerned about my insanity." Harry said, sombreness infusing with the playfully joking tone in his voice.

"Harry, don't joke with me please!" Ginny looked hurt and Harry's heart skipped a beat.

"Ginny, I'm not! Of course I'm not! If I could marry you now, I would. Although I'm not sure your family would approve." He tried to make her smile but her brow furrowed slightly. He took her hand in one of his, kissing it as he smoothed the other across her forehead. "Ginny, I'll tell you as I told your brothers, I love you. I would do anything it takes to make you happy and I couldn't imagine hurting you in any way. Ginny, you mean the World to me so you don't need to worry about me leaving or hurting you. I'm here to stay, I promise." He said, looking directly into her eyes as he said the words, knowing that his eyes showed complete solemnity. "Now smile, else Ron'll come over here and throw me out the window or something." Harry smiled and Ginny couldn't help but laugh, the smile lighting up her face and stunning Harry into silence.

"Harry, do you want to go for a walk?" Ginny asked, and Harry realised as he answered that he had been wanting to escape from the watchful eyes surrounding him all day and simply spend time alone with Ginny. They both stood and walked from the room in a companionable silence, embarrassed at the wolfwhistles being thrown at them from various places. The numbers in the hall were gradually decreasing and those remaining were the most committed to the fight. Neville and Luna remained, sitting and talking happily together in one corner while Neville's grandmother was busy telling Charlie Weasley that his hair was far too long. All the Hogwarts Professors sat sociably around one of the main tables, leaving the staff table empty and putting everyone at the same level. Angelina Johnson was sitting talking quietly to George, holding his hand as he studied the table. Penelope and Percy sat talking merrily with Bill, Hermione, Lee Jordan Katie Bell and Parvati and Padma Patil. All the ghosts floated around the edges of the hall in pairs, talking quietly and looking out of place, while house elves still moved between tables handing out food and drinks. As they walked out of the Great Hall, they saw Ernie Macmillan and Hannah Abbot sitting together, Hannah leaning on Ernie, who held her to him tenderly.

"Aww, finally Ernie and Hannah have got themselves sorted out." Ginny smiled, waving as Ernie beamed in their direction. Harry felt happy for the pair as he realised he had rarely seen them apart in the entire six years he'd worked with them at Hogwarts. Cho was sitting alone on a staircase looking miserable and Harry wanted to go and talk to her but upon seeing him and Ginny together, Cho stood and turned, running up the stairs away from them. Ginny shrugged and took Harry's hand.

"I would probably have let you go and comfort her as well. But what can you do?" She seemed relieved that she didn't have to let Harry go off after Cho. They slowly walked up the main staircase together, both silent and yet not uncomfortable. Subconsciously they turned down the corridor leading towards Gryffindor Tower, and Harry smiled at the idea of being back in his old common room, able to see the bed that had seen him through the best six years of his life so far.

"Ginny!" A voice called from behind them and the couple spun rapidly around, jumping at the sudden noise. Dean Thomas was running up behind them, waving wildly. "Oh...And Harry of course!" He sounded far less impressed upon seeing it was Harry alongside her.

"Hi Dean..." Ginny said quietly, rolling her eyes at Harry but hiding it from Dean. "Are you alright?"

"Um, yes... I was wondering if I could have a word with you, just us two, if you don't mind?" Dean mumbled, scuffing his feet against the floor. Ginny looked at Harry and he nodded slightly.

"Sure, okay then." Dean grinned massively and walked away with Ginny. Harry on the other hand pulled his cloak out from under his robes and threw it over himself quickly, Ginny looked back and smiled as she realised Harry had disappeared, knowing exactly where he was. Stepping silently, Harry followed them into an empty classroom. All the windows had been smashed and there was glass scattered across the floor and over all the seats.

"Reparo." Dean said, pulling a chair for Ginny as all the glass rose and melted together in the windowframe once again.

"What do you want, Thomas?" Ginny snapped, pulling a seat for herself, ignoring Dean's attempts at chivalry.

"Ginny, I can't stand not being with you. I've been a fool, this past year, with Parvati. It was you I wanted all along and she's always wanted to be with Harry, we were just together for...convenience. Although I don't think even that's true. Ginny please, get rid of Potter. He's not good for you, not only does everyone Harry gets close to get hurt, look at all these people who came to fight for him, your own brother. And I heard that he was really close with Sirius Black. He's not the good guy everyone thinks him to be. I would be so much better for you, I'm not arrogant like he is and I could really make you happy. Please Ginny, consider it! Tell me you'll be with me." He was grabbing her arm, his face jut inches from hers. She looked repulsed and Harry's hand instinctively went for his wand.

"Dean, get off me! For your information, Harry is a better man than you'll ever be. And I never want anything to do with you, you were pathetic Dean! Crawling after Parvati to make me jealous. But it didn't work, you make me sick!"

"I know you don't mean that Ginny, let me prove it to you." Dean leaned forwards and kissed her hard on the mouth. Without a moments thought Ginny pushed him away, disgusted and Harry shouted 'LEVICORPUS!' as loud as he could. Dean was hoisted into the air by his ankle, looking shocked as he caught sight of Harry, wand out and a furious expression on his face.

"Dean, you are pathetic. Ginny doesn't want to be anywhere near you and yet you force yourself upon her. In case you were wondering if you had a chance in the future, I am going nowhere so I think it's time for you to grow up Dean. And if you ever lay so much as a finger on her again, even if she asks you to, I will come and I will curse you. I know some good ones now Thomas, so I'd watch my step if I were you. Understand?" Harry snarled and Ginny stepped behind him with an 'I told you so' expression played right across her face. Dean looked furious and yet humiliated and Harry felt a surge of pity rise up inside of him for the boy in front of him that just couldn't let go. Harry concentrated his wand on Dean and thought 'Liberacorpus' watching with grim satisfaction as the boy tumbled to the floor in a heap. "Do you understand me, Thomas?" Harry hissed and Dean nodded furiously, getting to his feet and trying to scarper but Harry couldn't resist as he watched the boy run away.

"Locomotor Mortis." He whispered and watched as a sprinting Deans legs locked together and he went flying onto his face. "Goodbye Dean, I hope I won't see you again!"

"Anyway." Ginny smiled "Where were we?" Harry took her hand and kissed her lightly before they continued along the corridor towards the tower.