Chapter 38: When It All Began

Three Months Ago

ADELE CAMPBELL STUMBLED into the house, cradling her bleeding head. As she began to lose consciousness, she tried but failed to make it into the living room safely. So instead, she settled on slumping down at the foot of the stairs just as Ariel and Tobias emerged from her room. Before Adele could stop herself, a whimper passed between her lips that then morphed into a muffled sob. Ariel's feet skidded to a stop at the sight of her sister's battered face and she padded down the stairs hurriedly, her eyes wide, her body already shaking with anger.

"What the hell happened to you?" Ariel seethed as she knelt down before her sister. Adele brushed her hand away, "s-stop." She whispered. Ariel ignored her and gently lifted her head so that she could examine the damage. Apart from the obvious black ring encircling her eye, her lip had been split open, along with the side of her forehead and her possibly dislocated or broken nose. Her face was masked in a bloody pool and Ariel could barely contain the rage pulsating through her veins.

"Who the hell did this to you, Adele?" Tobias inquired. Although there was urgency behind his voice, he remained calm, unlike Ariel who began to pace up and down the foyer. Adele pursed her lips in a thin line but hadn't responded. Ariel who had enough of the silence slammed her fist into the wall, "answer him! Who did this to you? Tell me or so help me god I'll–" Adele forced her swollen eyes open, "I-I can't tell you," she interjected.

"You have to, Adele. This isn't normal. This is abuse, someone beat you to a pulp. You should be in a hospital then a police station right now. That's how severe the situation is. If this is the result of someone bullying you then it can't be simply handled by your principal. . .this is assault and the person or people who did this belong behind bars. So please, tell us who did this to you and what happened." Adele's eyes met Tobias' as he spoke.

She feared saying their name out loud. Because Adele Campbell knew exactly what her sister was capable of. However, everything Tobias had said was true. They'd cross the line this time and whether or not she told her sister she'd have to explain it to her parents who would take it to the police so Ariel would find out either way. With no choice, she said, "Kayla and Maria, that's their names. They were the ones who did this to me."

"Come on, baby, calm down," Tobias muttered as he encased Ariel in his arms. She buried her face in his neck and clenched her jaw tightly, "I hate seeing her like this. I promised to protect my sister no matter what and now she's in the hospital because two girls beat her up for a boy. A boy, Tobias! They assaulted her for a thing with a little weiner between his goddamn legs! And where is this boy now!? Where is this boy who my sister had to pay for with her own blood?"

Tobias caressed her back gently, "firstly, Ariel I need you to calm down. Secondly, your parents and the authorities will deal with this, okay? They're the adults in this situation. It's their job to handle everything and I promise you, they will. Your sister will get her justice." Ariel shook her head in disagreement. "Tobias you know damn well those girls will be let off with a slap on their wrist.

No one is going to prison. They'll probably expel them from school and get thirty hours of community service or something. If my sister presses charges they'll spend maybe one night or a few hours in jail before getting bailed by their stupid rich parents. My sister will never get the justice she deserves because this is a flawed system and you and I both know it. I have to do something."

Tobias pulled away from her arms but cupped her cheek in his palms, "listen, my little mermaid." He smiled sweetly, "what you need to do is let the adults do their job. Don't involve yourself in this and make things worse. I've met Maria and Kayla. They're just two stupid girls looking for their next high and new boy to sleep with. They're not worth whatever you're thinking of doing. So you need to take your mind off of it. Come to the party on Friday. Let's get drunk and forget, okay?"