Chapter 40: I Did It Tobias

Present

          THE ABANDONED WALLS of the dusty cabin stood rigidly in the middle of the woods an hour plus away from town. It was Ariel's grandparents old cabin they used whenever they wanted a remote weekend getaway that was still somewhat close to their actual home. They hadn't been using it for years now so it was always locked away. However, Ariel always had a pair of extra keys to her disposal.

          They were miles away from civilization. This was private property so anyone caught trespassing could get a bullet to the head or arrested. She had no doubt in her mind that what she planned for them would go on deaf ears. Not even cars passing by or the birds in the sky would hear.

Ariel stood tall on her feet as she began to round Evelyn's chair, "you couldn't kill them. That's impossible. Y-you don't even know them!" Evelyn shouted, more so trying to convince herself that her best friend was not crazy when in reality that was exactly what she was. Ariel sighed deeply, "I did kill them, Eve! And no I did not know them but there's a reason why I did it."

          Parker thrashed against his restraints, "yeah, because you're a crazy bitch!" Something silver glinted under the fluorescent light hanging above their heads and when it finally came into view, Evelyn and Parker's eyes widened in fear as they hurriedly began to fight against their restraints more urgently than before. "I am not crazy," Ariel spat slowly, however her voice had become unrecognizable.

          What was once a pair of hazel orbs filled with love and amusement had been replaced by a dark hollowed backdrop of rage and complete insanity. "W-what are you doing with t-that knife, Ariel!?" Parker bellowed out in his deep, raspy fear riddled voice. Evelyn whose eyes had yet to leave the knife tipped her head back and wailed as loudly as she could. All the while, Ariel stood on the heels of her feet, unamused.

           She shook her head and began to tut in a low, patronizing voice. "No one's going to hear you darling. We're miles away from civilization. The only other cabin is forty minutes by feet on the other side of the road so scream all you want. . .no one will hear. Anyways! Let's play a game, shall we?" Ariel twirled the edge of the knife on the palm of her now gloved hands. At the sight of that, Evelyn began to hyperventilate as her mind began to race with the possibilities of tonight's outcome.

          "What do you need the gloves for?" Parker asked nonchalantly. Ariel thought that he was too calm considering the circumstances. "It's for our game. It's for our version of the hunger games. I'm going to untie both of you and then we're going to hunt one another in the woods. How does that sound? You'll have a fair shot and the possibilities of killing me is 50%." Parker lowered his head down and began to cackle. It was a deep rumbled cackle that emitted from his throat slowly, tauntingly.

          Ariel hated it.

          "You psychotic bitch." He spat in disgust as his eyes levelled with hers, "if you untie me, Ariel I'll kill you right here, right now. I'm not playing your twisted game so don't you dare remove those ropes and zip ties or my face will be the last thing you see before you meet your maker." Ariel nodded her head in understanding and wrapped her palm tightly around the butt of the knife, "I calculated that variable beforehand, Parker. And the conclusion I came to is this: I'm not sorry in advance. This will hurt you more than it hurts me."

          As his lips parted to speak, Ariel sauntered across the room in long strides, raised her hand in the air and jammed the knife deep into Parker's thigh. He jerked forward as an eruption of pain spiralled through his legs. Then his mouth parted open and a scream of pure anguish rippled through the air. "ARIEL! ARIEL, STOP!" Evelyn cried as she flailed her body around, trying but failing to break free from the ropes and zip ties bounding her limbs together.