34

After the kiss, Jeno couldn't help but feel slightly panicked and awkward. He spent the afternoon contemplating his actions and kept getting distracted by his thoughts. Was it too soon to drop an 'I love you'? It was definitely rushed. But at the time he was caught in the heat of the moment and the words slipped out before he could think of anything else. And Jaemin had said it back! Did he mean it when he said it or was it just a natural reflex to say it back without a second thought? Jeno's heart raced at the doubts he was having, and hoped that Jaemin didn't think he was weird for blurting out those three words so soon into their relationship.

When Jaemin had asked Jeno on the bus if something was wrong, Jeno couldn't bring himself to tell what was really bothering him, so he just went along with what Jaemin was saying. He felt guilty for not telling Jaemin but his worries weren't worth ruining the atmosphere for.

We'll see how it goes, Jeno had decided. Maybe I'll just pretend like it never happened. The next time one of us says it that'll be the real first time— if there is a next time.

"So, Jeno..." Jaemin's mom said slowly, bringing him back to reality.

Jeno coughed slightly on the water he was sipping. This is where I, the boyfriend, get interrogated and lectured, isn't it, he groaned internally. He cleared his throat then smiled, looking up.

Jaemin's mom leaned forward. "Are you guys using protection?"

Jeno's ears reddened at the unexpected comment and he thanked the lord that he wasn't drinking or eating anything at the moment, or he would've choked on it. He could hear both Jaemin and Taeyong bark out an embarrassed "mom!" followed by her giggling mischievously.

"I'm just saying," she continued. "I know you two haven't known each other for long, but you never know what could happen. You're at that age where—"

"Anyways!" Jaemin coughed. "Th-this food is delicious?"

Jaemin's mom sighed, getting the hint. "Alright, I'll stop being an embarrassment. Jeno, it really is wonderful to meet you. You're all Jaemin talks about these days, and I've been dying to see the boy my baby has fallen for," she smiled lovingly while watching for Jeno's reaction.

Jeno glanced over at Jaemin, who had his face buried in his hands. He grinned at Jaemin's second hand embarrassment and took another bite of his dinner. The conversation flowed from there, and Jeno was bombarded with questions about his family, his friends, his hobbies, and answered anything Jaemin's mom wanted to know. Soon everyone had finished and Jeno was full.

"Thank you so much for the food, it was delicious," Jeno told Jaemin's mom sincerely.

"Oh, no need to thank me. Now go, I'll clean up the table," she replied.

Jeno went over to Jaemin, who was washing dishes. He carefully wrapped his arms around Jaemin from behind and rested his chin on the younger boy's shoulder.

"What are you doing, Lee Jeno?" Jaemin inquired, tilting his head slightly to side eye Jeno.

"Nothing, just hugging my boyfriend, Na Jaemin," Jeno mumbled back.

Jaemin scoffed at Jeno's response, then carried on washing the dishes. They stood like that for a while as Jaemin worked, and Jeno could hear faint squeals from Jaemin's mom every now and then, probably at how intimate they looked at the moment.

Suddenly Jeno's phone buzzed, and he released his hold on Jaemin to check who was calling—it was his dad.

"Hello?" Jeno answered, surprised by the call.

"Hey Jeno," his dad replied simply. "Where are you? Your mom and I just got home."

"I'm at my boyfriend's place, how was the trip? Where did you two go agai—" Jeno suddenly stopped and his jaw dropped as he realized what he just said. Jaemin had finished cleaning and was listening in on the phone call, and he too widened his eyes, waiting for what would come next.

There was a cough on the other side of the line. "Hello? Jeno? Boyfriend? Care to explain?" Jeno's dad asked.

"O-oh I um..." Jeno thought about how before his parents left on their trip he was (at least seemingly) very straight, and how in just a little over a week he had a sexual identity crisis and found himself a hot boyfriend. "I'm..."

A chuckle. "Don't worry Jeno, I don't care who you love as long as you're happy. I'm just curious as to how all this happened in the span of a week."

"I'm bisexual," Jeno blurted before he could chicken out. There, he said it. He suddenly felt a weight he didn't know he was carrying lift off his shoulders, and he could see Jaemin grinning at him proudly. Jeno smiled tentatively in response. He was surprised at how nonchalantly his dad initially reacted, and although it would've been better to come out in person, this would have to do.

"I figured as much," his dad replied. "So what about the boyfriend part?"

So Jeno filled his dad in on the events that happened this past week, and at some point his mom had joined in the conversation too. They got carried away catching up with everything that the call ended up lasting over half an hour. The time flew by, and with every minute that passed Jeno felt lighter and happier knowing that his parents still loved and supported him.

"Jaemin seems like a really cool guy, I'd like to meet him sometime," Jeno's dad declared.

"Yes! Please invite him over for dinner!" His mom exclaimed.

Jeno laughed at his parents' eagerness. "Sure, as long as you two don't go running off on another trip anytime soon," he teased.

"We won't," Jeno's mom reassured him. "So will you come home tonight? Or are you staying over at Jaemin's?"

Jeno glanced over at Jaemin to see what the other had to say but he just smiled bashfully and shrugged. "I'll probably come home," Jeno said slowly. "Since all of my stuff is still at home." He silently snickered at the way Jaemin dramatically deflated.

"Alright, do you need us to pick you up or will you come home on your own?"

"I'll get home on my own, don't worry," Jeno promised.

"Alright, I'll see you soon then, my son," Jeno's dad called.

"Yep. Bye!" Jeno hung up, happy with how things turned out. He turned to Jaemin, who was still pouting.

"Come on, don't be dramatic," Jeno laughed. "I'll stay over another day, I promise."

Jaemin sighed heavily. "Alright, Nono," he said, and Jeno could faintly hear Taeyong in another room snort and clown the nickname. "I'll walk you to the door."

"Thanks again for having me," Jeno again thanked Jaemin's mom who had come to see him off.

"Of course! You're welcome anytime," she replied warmly.

After exchanging goodbyes with everyone, Jeno exited Jaemin's house with a wide smile and started on his way home.

~~~~~

A/N:

heyheyhey i just finished my exam todayy lowkey failed probably (bc a pass is 70% and im not good at piano) but its okay bc im free now ! im done piano for good yayeet

this chapter went differently than i planned but i still like how it went ! bc i was thinking yesterday about how jenos parents were pretty much absent this entire au sjsjjs this reminded me that they still exist lmao

so yeaaa i can (tentatively) say that my update schedule should somewhat go back to normal ?? or at least i wont go 847585 weeks without updating unless i go through another severe writers block

but this chapter came rlly easily bc of that lil clip of nomin hugging in the behind the scenes of boom and i was super hella soft after seeing that so i managed to whip up this update quickly LOL

its surprising how even tho i dont update there are still new ppl finding my au and reading it, it feels cool ngl KSKSJSJS is this fame 👁👄👁 but fr its such a nice feeling thANK U for reading my work :>

- amy