21

After spending most of the day with Chenle and Jisung, Chenle's mom drove Jaemin home and he was welcomed with the smell of dinner. Taeyong and his mom were in the kitchen, setting the table. Jaemin bounced over and joined in, grabbing a pair of chopsticks for himself and everyone else.

"It seems you're in a good mood?" Taeyong hummed, not looking up from the plates he was holding.

Jaemin beamed. "Yeah, I had a lot of fun with Chensung." He couldn't help but smile at the thought of his friends.

"What about Jeno?" His mom inquired. "You stayed over at his house yesterday?"

"I did! It was really fun, but I'm sorry I didn't tell you about it." Jaemin's mouth curved into a frown. Being with Jeno, he had forgot all about updating his family, and he still felt bad.

"Aw, don't feel bad. Yes, we were worried but all that matters is that you're safe." Jaemin's mom smiled warmly, reassuring him.

Jaemin's guilt faded a bit knowing that everything was okay. They finished setting the table and bringing the dishes to the center. "Alright. Is dad working late again?"

"Yep," Taeyong nodded. "It's just us three for tonight."

"I see," Jaemin picked up his chopsticks. "Can we eat then?"

Dig in!" His mom exclaimed. After a few moments of silent eating, she spoke again. "So tell us a bit more about Jeno," she sang.

A wide smile spread across Jaemin's face. "Okay this sounds so sudden but I really like him, mom. I don't even know what it is, I know we just met two days ago. He's just such a kind and considerate person, I mean not at first but—"

"Wait why not at first?" Taeyong cut in.

"He judged me for liking Kakao plushies," Jaemin pouted. "I felt wounded, you know? He probably thought I was too old to like them or something."

Taeyong set his chopsticks down dramatically. "He what? I'm sorry Nana, Jeno might be hot and nice but you should forget about him and find a different man. Clearly he isn't worthy of you," he joked.

"I'll pretend I didn't just hear my older brother call my crush hot... but yeah I thought that too!" Jaemin laughed. "For real. I was so scared when he got mad about me not having enough money and was so sure that we would end up as strangers. But he warmed up the morning after. I wonder what changed him..."

"He probably got yelled at by his friends and came to his senses, and now he's fallen for you," Taeyong grinned. "It's a win."

"You should invite him over sometime!" His mom suggested excitedly. "I want to meet my son's future boyfriend!"

Jaemin nearly choked on the rice in his mouth, cheeks reddening at the word 'boyfriend'. "Mom! Aren't you getting ahead of yourself? We just met two days ago!"

"And?" Jaemin's mom questioned. "You already said you're into him, all that's left is for one of you to confess." She clapped her hands together. "Oh how exciting! We'll be meeting Jeno soon! Have you thought about how you'll confess to him?"

"Not really," Jaemin answered truthfully. "I'm scared of what would happen. What if he doesn't like me back and rejects me? I would be making a fool out of myself," he sighed.

"But you never know if you don't shoot your shot," Taeyong pointed out. "And I'll bet he likes you back," he added with a smirk.

"Yeah? How much are we betting?" Jaemin shot back. "Because I could use some money after buying all those plushies."

"Nana I'm serious! You're the sweetest, most caring, most adorable bean on earth. What's not to like?" Taeyong leaned forward to give Jaemin a pinch on the cheek.