Chapter 44

a  m o t h e r ' s    n o t e

My darling Mariposa, my butterfly.

I don't know when you'll ever read this, when your parents will give you this note. I've been thinking about writing this note to you for so long, ever since I found out I was pregnant. I barely know where to start. But I wanted to tell you that I am so sorry. I'm so sorry you had to find out at this time. But I can tell you that your real parents love you so, so very much. All we've ever wanted was the best for you. Adrien, your father, wanted to escape Paris, away from the threat, but it was me who made the decision to give you up. I am to blame. I hope, in time, you will forgive me. My daughter. Mariposa Sabine Agreste. I hope that in the future, we will become a family again. I only wish that you can be happy, even though your parents have lied to you. Just know, that you are loved by so many people. Everyone wanted you to be safe and happy, including Kim and Alix. I knew you'd be safe with their love and strength. We trusted them with all our hearts to raise you into a beautiful young woman. Your father and I couldn't be more proud of who you've become.

I love you, my butterfly.

Your mother,

M

-----