Chapter Thirty Nine - Omnium

Start from the beginning

It was a difficult thing, trying not to let your natural disapproval of the omnics affect your judgement. But the fact remained that there was absolutely no guarantee of the army surrendering after Maximilien was incapacitated. If anything, this plan could make things an awful lot worse.

"Given some time, I could potentially write a section of code which could permanently terminate the omnics' key processes. Essentially, kill them. We would still need the chip to shut them down and lower their defences so that my code could be applied...but it would neutralise the threat" Winston answered, nodding his head in confirmation.

"And kill thousands" Zenyatta said, rather calmly considering what was being discussed.

"To save billions...sometimes that's the sort of brutal math you have to use in war" Jack countered gruffly.

"Even if that works, someone would still need to reach Maximilien to implant the chip" you remarked.

"Which again reiterates our need for a teleportation device" Genji added, causing you to nod your head in agreement.

"Yes...I will contact Ms Vaswani as soon as we are finished here, she owes me a favour" Winston concluded.

"Am I missing something here? Where do we find one of these...uh chips?" Jesse questioned, raising yet another valid hole in your plan.

Bastion spoke again, and once again Winston translated for him.

"Ah...that is...unfortunate..." Winston commented, beginning to pace around the room with a sigh.

You gave a frown.

"Care to enlighten us, Winston? What is the problem?" Angela asked.

Winston turned back to face you all with a concerned expression.

"Apparently these control chips were not at all widely produced. Due to their rarity, the only feasible place where we will be able to acquire one is...an omnium" he explained, causing Jack to mutter a curse word under his breath.

Omniums were enormous automated factories which produced anything and everything omnic. The omniums gaining self-control was the reason the Omnic Crisis had happened in the first place. Even today, some still operated, producing soulless machines of war. If one tried to think of the most dangerous place on the planet, an omnium would rank exceedingly high on the list.

"Perhaps if we approach the Siberian omnium, Katya Volskaya could provide aid" Angela suggested, causing you to chuckle.

"I wouldn't bet on it, doc. The only reason Volskaya helped us in the first place is because Ol-Sombra blackmailed her...she's not our friend. Besides, her forces are weakened now after Brazil" you remarked.

"I agree...Siberia is not an ideal option. However, there is another Omnium within reach which still operates, in the middle of the East China Sea. It is underwater, so access would be...limited, at best. But we have allies in Busan, Hana Song...a mech pilot. She will help us..." Winston replied, provoking some nods of agreement.

You had heard of Hana Song, she was supposed to be a skilled videogame player, and a member of MEKA as well. From the sounds of it, she would be a great ally to have on your side.

"So...who gets to go? And who's stuck on guard duty back here?" Jesse questioned.

Winston gave him a knowing smile.

"Sorry Jesse, but I don't think you'll be right for this mission. We need a small team who can deftly infiltrate the facility and hopefully escape unnoticed. Genji and Lena will go" he answered.