Chapter Thirty Eight - Recovery

Start from the beginning

You did not see her again, the next you heard, she had reportedly left the island aboard one of the Volskaya dropships. Out of your life, like a ghost, or a shadow...

After Olivia left, you found yourself slipping into sleep once again, either out of exhaustion or sorrow. The next time you awoke, you did so to the greeting of a different face, Angela Ziegler. The Swiss doctor gave you a pleasant smile as she saw your eyes open, taking a seat beside you as she adjusted the drip.

Even after several days of rest, you were still in considerable pain, causing you to wonder just how close to death's door you had been. Perhaps if not for Angela's expertise you would be dead already.

"Stay calm...you need rest. How are you feeling?" she questioned calmly, propping up a pillow behind you.

"Just peachy, doc. Ugh...Sombra? Has she? Where is she?" you asked in response, noticing Angela lower her head.

"She left. I'm sorry...I know the two of you were close" she explained.

There was a moment of silence as you tried to come to terms with things. If not for Olivia, you would never have been involved in any of this. She was the reason you had joined; she'd made you better, and now she was gone. Perhaps you should have gone with her while you'd had the chance.

"It's alright...she did what she had to...I don't blame her a bit..." you replied truthfully.

However sad you were to see her go; you did not bear Olivia any ill feelings. She was a spy after all, not a soldier.

"For the record...we appreciate you staying to help..." Angela stated with a smile.

You returned a small smile, though her words were little comfort now. You tried to sit up, but your body flared with pain, forcing you back down with a grunt.

"Careful...your injuries are severe" the doctor warned with concern.

"Ugh...no kidding. What's the verdict? Anything broken?" you asked, fearing the answer.

Angela's guilt-ridden look did nothing to calm your nerves.

"Collapsed lung, perforated liver, spinal column partly lacerated. And your left leg lost a lot of blood too. We managed to remove the shrapnel...but it won't be an easy fix..." she explained slowly, a list of injuries that didn't seem to end.

When she finally finished speaking, you found yourself wondering how exactly you had managed to survive.

"Shit...all of that? I-thank you...I doubt many would've been able to save me" you replied, again trying to pull yourself up.

An intense pain shot up your left leg, causing you to cry out and fall to the ground. Angela rushed over, sitting you up on the floor and leaning you against the wall.

"Verdammt Y/N...I told you your injuries are severe. You need rest..." she chastised, as if speaking to a child.

"Gah...what use am I to anyone like this? How can I help? How can I stop Talon?" you questioned in frustration.

All of your training, all of your preparation and it hadn't meant a thing. Yes, Akande was dead, but you were hardly much better yourself.

"You won't help by hurting yourself like this. Take some time...we'll watch the world while you're out. Calm down now...let me help you back into the bed. Come on...sleep..." Angela answered, subtly injecting you with some form of serum.

You quickly surmised that it was some form of sedative as your eyelids grew heavy. Before long, your heart rate slowed, and you felt yourself drift out of consciousness.