Chapter 3 - Meet the Parents

I really could not have asked for a better day today, I was never one to dream of big birthday celebrations, I don't need a big fuss and I hated when there was lots of attention on me.
Today was perfect, that's the thing with Jackson he is real with me and there are never any hidden truths or ulterior motives between us, there is no need to impress the other person or exaggerate the truth to make the story seem more exciting, it was just us plain and simple. Perhaps I could have done without the family dinner but I should be happy my parents care enough to make the effort.

My family life is actually pretty decent, In fact there are probably a lot of kids that would give their left arm for what I have. My Mum and Dad are extraordinarily happy, they are so very much in love and quite often have to be reminded to keep their public displays of affection to a minimum. I am an only child, My gorgeous mother Ava was only 20 years old when she had me, My Dad Steven was 6 years her senior and loves to tell the story of how he could simply not let the dark haired beauty that is my mother slip past him. They make each other happy and I guess what some people would refer to as 'couple goals'.
My Dad worked hard to give us the best life he could, My grandparents - his Mum and Dad lost their lives in a car accident 2 weeks before I was born, a great way for my Dad to start a new year. My Mums family, I have actually never met, When my parents went to them to announce my Mum was pregnant they gave her a choice - My Dad or them, they had decided that she would be sent away until I was born and that I would be given up for adoption - sound like stellar people right! Guess they weren't counting on their head strong, determined daughter to pack her bags and walk straight into my Dads open arms.

Mum and Dad were in the lounge room ready and waiting by the time we arrived home, containers of Chinese food and plastic plates lined up on the coffee table. This was my parents down to a tee, Make a scene, demand me home for an important family birthday dinner - of Chinese takeaway, but I really do love my Mum and Dad, they have all the qualities teenage children look for in their parents, Easy Going - Yep, Laid Back - Check, Controlling - Hell No, Curfew - what's that, actually their rule with that one was as long as they knew where I was at night time, and that I was safe then it was ok. Our entire relationship was built on trust and honesty, plus I think the fact my best friend is 6ft3 and in excellent physical condition eases their minds when we go out.

They both jumped up as soon as we entered the room my Mum rushing to embrace Jackson in a warm hug, it is crazy how much my parents love Jackson, he isn't exactly the boy next door that I am sure most Mothers and Fathers dream about their little girls bringing home with them, but he is the boy I take home everyday, and my parents never questioned our relationship. My Mum is an absolute looker, She is smaller than both myself and my Dad in height by a few inches, she has black straight hair that stops at her shoulders and ivory skin.

"Wow and here I thought I might be your favourite, At least for today" I scoff at her, she gives me her dazzling smile turning towards me, I hadn't realised my Dad was behind me giving them the opportunity to trap me in the middle of an enormous bear hug,

"Happy Birthday Princess" my Dad gushes at me, the adoration shining from his eyes as he placed a kiss on my cheek, My Dad was a big guy, he towered over my 5ft11 frame though not quite as tall as Jacksons 6ft3, his face was covered in a thick dark brown beard which he kept trimmed and sat just below his chin the colour matching his hair. He lifts weights everyday which kept him in good shape, not to mention the 40+ hours per week he works to support us.

"Happy 17th Birthday darling girl" my Mum contributes "We are starving, let's eat".

I don't ask for presents for my birthdays, My parents pretty much get anything I need as I need it and no that does not make me a spoilt brat, I even offered to get an after school job but my Mum and Dad feel its important for me to be a teenager so they were pretty quick to shoot that idea down.
Dinner and an ice cream cake with my 3 favourite people is a definite birthday winner.
I sneak a quick look at Jackson as my Dad is happily reminiscing with old family photo albums - I am sure there are pictures in there of bath times, school dances and maybe even a few of the time Jax, his older brother Tyler and I decided to paint the back of the house while our parents were catching up over coffee one day - oops! Anyway I guess I could be embarrassed about him seeing these but Jackson is in all of these pictures anyway.

He catches me watching him as his face changes from laughter to shock to downright anger, But still he flashes me his multi-million dollar smile and I return it without hesitation, This is exactly why I don't need gifts for my birthday, My Dad already gave me the best present ever the day he bought Jackson into my life.