chapter thirty

Layla's POV

"Do you still think of us as a contract?" he asked lowly.

I flapped my lashes sighing. I covered the little space between us. "No sulayman. . .Sleep now" i commanded, patting his back.

*****

I woke up first and sulayman was still lying beside me. I got out of bed carefully and into the bathroom for my wudoo, then i read my solah. I stood up from my mat to check on him but he was still in the same position he had been. I placed my index finger under his nostils to confirm if he's breathing. I said a relief Alhamdulilah and walked to the door.

I got out of the room to check on farouk or the doctor or anyone just to ask if it's okay for sulayman to stay away from the doctor for that long.

I saw no one in the living room or kitchen but i heard voices from the end corner of the kitchen so i walked towards it and heard the voices clearly. Its bad to easvesdrop and i never do it but i had some strange urges pushing me to listen to the conversation before i knock on the door.

". . .Its suprising to me too i must confess, just last night before he went to his wife, his check up was the best i have examined so far" the doctor said.

"I am glad she came. . . i should have invited her earlier" mr omar replied flatly.

"You are right. . . its such wonders" the doctor chuckled lightly. "It reminds me of when i was newly married, i could almost not eat without my wife" the doctor made a joke and mr omar chuckled too. I smiled and almost knocked the door when i heard mr omar in a serios tone.

"How much time does he have left?" he asked. The doctor seemed quiet. i froze, my hand hanging in the air.

What does he mean by that?

"Well. . . five to six month max" the doctor said relunctantly.

I gasped loudly and covered my mouth immediately. The door flung open and two pairs of eyes pierced mine. I did the next thing my brain clicked to. I ran and almost stumbled but i didn't stop. I ran back into the room sulayman was in and he was still sleeping peacefully. I hiccup on a cough as the doctors word rang back in my head.

Five to six month max!

I walked slowly into the bathroom and slamed the door gently behind me. I sat on the toilet sit and stare into space. I stood up and paced the little space between the bath tub and the toilet. My eyes started to ache as fresh tears poured down.

I bent down and placed my head on my knee and cried deeply. I stood up and faced the mirror looking at my reflection. Is sulayman going to die? Allah is not going to let this happen right? Why does everyone i love so much have to leave me? Ya Allah why? Ya Allah please don't take sulayman!

"Ok i am going to go away from him. Just keep him alive. I won't bother him or see him. Just don't let him die." I tried to sob lightly when i heard a knock on the bathroom door. I clicked on the tap and washed my face quickly as the water gushed out. I wiped my face dry with my head scarf and walked up to open the knob.

"What are you doing to yourself?" sulayman asked immediately i opened the door. I gave him a blank expression that says i dont have an idea of what you are asking.

"You are awake. . .i. . .i. . .was washing. . .my face" I stammered, blinking my eyes.

He eyed me suspiciously. "Are you sure you are okay?"

"Ofcourse i am" i twitch a smile. "How do you feel this morning?" i asked.

He returned the smile resting his back on the wall" I am fine if you are fine layla" he studied me a bit again. "I would go for my morning check up now" he turned to leave, limping a bit.