chapter twenty-eight

Aishah’s POV
I turn on the engine to kick start my scooter but it wasn’t responding. “Oh Allah! Not this morning” I muttered frustrated. My scooter has been acting up of late. I continued kicking it when ummi opened the front door.

“Aishah safety first” she began to scold me and walked out of the front door. “You forgot your helmet”.

“Ummi that’s less of my worries” I said still looking at my scooter. “I am going to be late for my practical test” I looked at her as she shook her head.

She walked towards the scooter and I stepped aside for her to try it too. She handed me the helmet and kick started it multiple times but to no response.
“You have to get the bus Aishah” she concluded in skipped breaths, collecting the helmet back from me.

Getting the bus is a no, I don’t like the idea a bit and she knows. It’s easy to get the bus when coming back from college but it sounds almost impossible now because I have to wait for about 30minutes at the bus stop.

I shook my head and she rolled her eyes. “I will get the mechanic to check it before you get back. Let's try something else” she said wrapping her scarf more appropriately and walking out of the compound.

“ummi what?” I trailed after her. She continued walking until she stopped in front of Layla’s house.

No no!!

“Ummmmmmmi” I enlongated. “What are you trying to do” I stump my feet on the hard floor. I thought she was going to help call a taxi or just do something else.

“Trying not to get you late” she said like its no big deal and knocked on the door.

Ridwan opened the door almost immediately. Our eyes met for a second before I looked down to my purple laced sandals.

“Asalam alaykum pyaar” ummi said cheerfully, picking on his cheek.

Oh God! He's not even zaid.

“Walaykum salam safiyah aunty” he replied with a smile and made way for ummi to go in. I stood still, burying my face and looking everywhere but him.

“Aren’t you coming in?” he asked in his angelic manly voice or perhaps I heard it that way.

When Layla left to the north, things have really changed. This is my second time being here and the first was when i had to give deliyah her favorite chocolates that i got from the mall. I have not met with ridwan either. The glares he gave me the day I told his parents about layla’s contract marriage could kill. It was going to go well with us when Mariam got married to her cousin but I don’t see anything for us anymore. I know how protective he can be over Layla but it wasn’t totally my fault.

“No, I will wa-wait here” I stuttered.

“Ok” He said in a voice that was scarcely a murmur, he closed the door and bolted it.

I closed my eyes with a sigh, feeling like I have been punched in my guts. I paced the front verandah checking my wrist watch for the time, I have one hour to my test. I sat on the white arm chair beside the window. I slowly let myself slump a bit on the bench when the door jerked open and ummi came out with layal mum.

“Habibati” she said in a native tone, smiling mildly. I stood up quickly and walked up to her.

“Asalam alaykum ummi” I greeted.

“walaykum salam” she held my arms and gave me a small side hug. “Ridwan will be out in a minute, he will drop you off okay.”

I nod my head and coined my face to a thin smile. “Deliyah asked for her chocolates but I sent her to the bathroom” she chuckled at her own words.