Chapter 15: Once More For Old Time's Sake

I rub Thomas' head as I sit on the couch, he lays across it--his head resting in my lap. I run my fingers through his soft hair. I notice he's looking like Dean more and more the older he gets. I smile as I look down at him, hardly listening to the mumbling between Cas and Dean at the large table in the middle of the bunker. I peer over at them, Cas handing Dean a few papers as they discuss. Dean looks concerned, and somewhat confused. The roast is cooking on the stove, the sauteed, chopped potatoes sizzling inside the pan next to the pot roast. I look over at the clock, 9:30pm. It's past Thomas' bedtime, however he stayed awake as long as he could to see Uncle Castiel, who showed up rather out of no where late this evening--which is why I'm cooking such a late dinner.

I look down at Thomas, a sleeping angel. I need to put him in bed. I kiss his little forehead before sitting him up, moving him off me softly as I get up from the couch. I pick him up, his eyes only fluttering for a few moments as the poor little guy is totally out of it. I hold him in my arms, he wraps his arms around my neck. He rests his tired head into the crook of my neck, he lets out a deep breath as he relaxes into me. I walk around the couch.

"I'm gonna put him to bed." I whisper to Dean and Castiel as I walk past them.

"Need help?" Dean asks quietly as he turns to face me from his chair. "I got it." I say, giving him a thankful smile. He nods, getting back to his discussion with Castiel.

[[Dean P.O.V.]]

Elena leaves the room with Thomas, taking him to his room. I turn to face Cas again. "Where is this, again?" I ask.

"Ohio, northern, I believe. It's called Bloomsfield Mansion. It's abandoned but there's been over thirteen deaths in the past three days. No one can figure out what's going on. The town is reeling. There's either some serial killer on the loose, or it's something supernatural." Cas explains.

"I just don't understand what makes you think it's something supernatural." I argue with confusion, looking down at the news articles he handed me a few minutes ago.

"Because the bodies show signs of demonic possession. Demons, Dean. I think this town is infested with demons. We need to help these people." Cas pleads, trying his hardest to convince me.

I shake my head, "Castiel--I just got my family back."

"I know. Trust me...I know, Dean. But these people--these innocent people. They need our help."

"And what about me? My son? My wife? My pregnant wife. What about my family? I can't let Thomas grow up the way Sam and I did. That life...it's damaging. The job is good when you don't have anything to lose. But those two--those two are the greatest things that have ever happened to me. I have a daughter on the way. I can't risk everything, their safety, their quality of life. Even if it is to save other people. It's just...it's terrifying, Cas. How can I do that?" 

"I know. Everything you're saying is right and it's understandable. You have a lot on the line. And I know you don't do this anymore, but--what's one more time for old time's sake." He continues, pushing me harder as he continues to try and convince me. "Please. We need you on this." He continues.

"We?" I question.

"Sam and Caroline agreed to help." Castiel admits, "As soon as they finish the case they're already working on."

"Isn't the three of you enough?" I sigh, pinching the bridge of my nose as I look down at the photographs--the bodies inside the mansion. 

"We need you." Cas argues.

[[Elena P.O.V.]]

I walk into Thomas' bedroom, laying him down in his small, big boy bed. I bend down, kissing his forehead once more before I tuck him in. I pull his comfy, red comforter over him--sitting his stuffed teddy bear next to his arms. "I love you Tommo." I whisper, smooching his cheek quickly before finally turning to leave his room. When I stand back up, I feel a bit nauseous. I place my hand over my stomach, feeling a few flutters in my stomach as baby girl kicks lightly. I gasp, stopping in my tracks to take it in. I look down, running my fingers over myself. I can feel her. I smile, "There you are..." I whisper to myself. I place both of my hands over my tummy, feeling my bump. She stops moving, "whew..." I sigh, hoping the wave of nausea just washes over me rather than me getting sick.