Chapter 4: The First Sign

"He's with Caroline, he'll be happy to see you later." I say to Dean as I keep an eye on his demeanor. He's been acting different lately. He's been standoffish...distant. I don't know if it's stress, or he's just busy with the case. I have no idea. It could possibly be the fact that Damon is trying his hardest to be involved. It's causing a few problems between Dean and I. But...he should know better. He should know he can trust me.

He grins to himself as he looks down at the picture on my phone that I took of Thomas when Caroline was feeding him whipped cream at the coffee shop earlier. He hands the phone back to me, hardly even saying a word.

I question him for what seems like the one-hundredth time this week.

"Are you sure you're okay?" I ask in a careful tone. He takes a deep breath, looking past me with aggravated eyes. He shakes his head as he almost instantly becomes angry with my question. His deep voice practically roars at me.

"How many times are you going to ask me that? As long as Damon is here, I'm not really okay. You know what? Hell yeah. I'm gonna be honest. I don't like him talking to you, and I don't want you to be anywhere alone with him, Elena." He starts.

My eyes widen a bit as I'm upset, but not surprised with his response

My eyes widen a bit as I'm upset, but not surprised with his response. I knew this would happen, and it's exactly what I didn't want.

"Dean, I told you that if you wanted him gone I would make it happen. You said that he would be a good ally if needed! You-you told me not to tell him to go! So I didn't. You said he'd be another good person for us to use when needed—for help!" I argue.

He clenches his jaw tightly, narrowing his eyes at me. This time he talks in a quieter voice. "You didn't give me a choice. You decided that, not me. You think I want him around? Seriously Elena?" He continues.

I take a deep breath and exhale deeply, the anxiety inside of me beginning to rise as I worry about everything. What does he mean I gave him no choice? I asked him what he wanted and that's what I did. I don't understand. Maybe I should have told Damon to go anyways.

I look down, sighing again with sadness.

I hate this. I hate this weird funk that we're in. Something needs to change. Maybe I should tell Damon to scram. For good. Especially if it's going to continue to put a dagger between Dean and I. It's not worth it.

"Look Dean I'm sorry, okay? I'll-I'll tell him to get lost. I promise. I love you. Why can't you trust that?" I question him, moving closer to him as I place a hand on the side of his scruffy face.

He closes his eyes for a moment and squeezes them shut. He takes a quick breath before looking into my eyes. "I do trust you. I don't trust him." He finishes, moving my hand away from his face and walking past me toward the impala. Sam looks at me with worry from the passenger side seat. He knows something is up.

Somethings gotta change.