Chapter 12: A Gala for the Books

[[clip above is a clip I made for this chapter :) A summary of what you'll read]]

I swallow thickly, checking myself in the mirror before we're all ready to walk out the door. "You look stunning." Caroline says as she stands beside me, checking herself as well. "So do you." I say with a grin, nudging her as I give her a look. She looks over at me, narrowing her brows in confusion. "What? What's that look for?" She asks. I giggle, rolling my eyes over toward Sam. "Don't play dumb with me. You and Sam? Are you guys official yet, or? I saw the clothes on the floor. " I say as I begin to laugh, covering my mouth to shield the noise.

Caroline laughs in return, nudging me to be quiet as she rolls her eyes. "Elena!" She squeals. After a moment of silence she finally responds. "I don't know yet. We're just going with it."

I nod, pretending to not be convinced.

"You girls ready?" Sam asks as he looks over at us, adjusting the sleeves on his suit. Caroline and I both turn around, nodding. I let out a deep, worried sigh.

Caroline turns toward me, grabbing onto my hands as she holds them softly. "Remember, everything is going to be okay tonight, Elena. You got this. We got this." She says in an attempt to cheer me up and motivate me. I sigh one more, nodding in agreement as I give her hands a squeeze. "You're right." I say, trying to convince myself of it.

All of us pile into the car, speeding off quickly as we head toward the gala.

After our hour long drive, the bright evening turns to the dark night rather quickly. The gala is located inside an enormous mansion with the entire backyard of it lit up with drinks, dancers, and a charity event which seems to be selling some large paintings and antiques. This reminds me almost of the masquerade ball the Lockwoods held so many years ago.

Sam and Caroline go in first, I follow swiftly behind. When I make my way inside, the glimmering lights and large crowd of people give me a tiny bit of anxiety. I just hope this goes well. When I make my way in, a woman sits at the door—taking my sachet from me eloquently to hang on a hanger a few feet away. I look around the room, Sam and Caroline grabbing drinks from a bar located to my nearest right. As soon as my eyes hover to the left—I spot him.

Dean stands near a table, Katherine standing right beside him. She wears a deep red dress that goes all the way down past her feet—leaving a small train. Her red lips press against her glass of champagne as she gives it a sip. My heart drops in my chest. I feel nauseous. She gives him a smirk before she makes her way to the steps, not even noticing me as she leaves him. He turns his head, his eyes locking with mine as he notices my entrance. His eyes widen, and his jaw drops as his eyes trail from the top of me to the bottom and up again. I take a deep breath, turning back to see Sam and Caroline who notice him as well.

Caroline follows after Katherine, while Sam and I make our way over to Dean. Dean places a hand on the table beside him—his ornery eyes lock with mine. "What are you doing here?" Is the first thing I manage to question. I pretend to be strong. I pretend not to be phased by his presence. I pretend not to care. But I'm the complete opposite. Seeing him for the first time since...since what happened the last time I saw him. It's unreal. For some reason now whenever I see him all I can picture is our son. I so badly want Dean to come home, not mainly for me, for our little boy. My heart breaks as I watch the lack of life in his eyes.

He's like a robot.

Mind control is a terrible thing.

"Well look at you two, both crashing this party. I didn't see your names on the list?" He says, his expression changing from a bit of shock to complete sarcasm and lack of care. He chuckles, grabbing a glass of bourbon from the table beside him.