hope. |chapter 20|

I could feel myself slowly going insane. The more time I spent in the arena, the more I lost my mind. You had no idea I wanted to skid my knife across my wrists to get rid of the slipping feeling I've been holding on to for so long. But I had to keep a grip on my sanity, for Cato. Cato and I used to have a pair of night-vision glasses. But they were destroyed in the explosion, along with everything else. Now we resorted to squinting in the darkness with only the moonlight illuminating our path. Cato was making loud noises, with his boots. I wouldve shot a glare in his direction, but there was no point. The darkness wouldve hiden it anyhow.

Cato was trying to be as quiet as he could. We couldn't go to camp, because surely, the gamemakers wouldn't release the table if we were there. It just wouldn't be in the 'spirit of the games'. We were considering going back to camp for our gear. Well, our blankets. We barely had anything, and besides, we couldn't go there without the threat of getting shot at or attacked by Thresh. We decided on a place where there was a large bush, offering both protection from the wind and tributes while we're resting. The only tributes left were Cato, me, Katniss, Peeta, and Thresh. All I could feel is my mind feeling...loose? It didn't feel like everything was okay. I felt the constant threat of anything, even the tiniest thing. I felt scared of Cato, too. I didn't know why. I just always felt the need to stick my knife in his chest. I denied myself the horror that's going through my mind. I wanted to kill him so bad. I wanted to slice and dice him aprart, until he no longer posted a threat to me.

But I couldn't do that, I would go insane without him. I probably already am. But I would probably be trying to make a repeat of that guy who had to be tasered because he kept trying to eat his victims.

"You okay over there?" Cato questioned. Maybe it was the way I was mumbling my words, I didn't make much sense. All I could say were the words "kill, have to get out. Kill, that's the way out." I pinched my nails into my skin and reveled in the pain, it brought me back to life.

"Uh, yeah. Thanks." I mumbled. The sun was starting to rise. The gamemakers probably just wanted to get this over with. Its been at least three weeks. The table rose it was steel and long, with three brightly colored bags on it displaying the numbers 2, 11, 12. We crouched down in our bush. We watched as nobody emerged from the bushes, until..* dark haired female with a braid down her back. Katniss. She ran to the table and garbeed her bag.Cato pushed me forward, signaling to go in for the kill.

I had to run with all my speed for me to get there at the correct time. She ran to the left of the cornicopia. I threw my knife and I leaned all my weight into onefoot. Soppy wet coldness filled my shoe and became a shock to my system, which made me give her a deep cut instead of the fatal head wound I meant to give her. She fell to the ground and yowled. She rolled onto her knees and pulled back her hand to her arrow. She put it in the bow and it sprang out. I dodged to my right, but I wasn't fast enough. It hit me in the left shoulder. I yanked out the arrow and screamed. It was bleeding heavily, but I continued to run. She tried to hit me again, but her blood was blinding her eye. It landed far away from me. I tackeled her to the ground before she got the oppurtunity to try again.

She pulled my hair and wass on top. I gauged her in the eye and she realeased her grip on my hair to claw at my hand. I wrolled and her hand went for my head again. I pinned her arm down and put my foot on my arm. I grabbed the knife I always kept in my belt and put it against her throat. She was glaring at me with much hatred. I smiled sadistically at her expression, I've been waiting for this. The only words I could think of were the words I was mumbling to Cato. 'Kill, only way to get out. Only way to stay alive, kill." I went back to reality and said to her.

"Where's loverboy?" I put on a sweet smil and continued, "Oh, I see. You were going to help him right? Well that sweet." I faked a sad face. "You know, it too bad you couldn't help your little friend. That little girl, what was her name again? Rue? Yeah, well we killed her." I rubbed salt into her emotional wound. That brought some fight out of her, she started struggelingand kicking. I looked through the pockets in my jackets and pulled out an arrowhead. "And now we're going to kill you."

"Peetas hunting Cato. Peeta!!" She screamed at the top of her lungs. I whipped my head around and there was no broad shouldered, blonde boy heading our way. I thought it through, and it was ridiculous. Peeta was cut, deep.

"Liar." I shook my head and started smiling. "Cato knows where he cut him. You probably have him tied up in a tree while you try to keep his heart going. Is that what's in the pretty little backpack, twelve?"

She bared her teeth at me and gathered all her saliva and spit on me. I huffed in anger and wiped it off me. "You know, Cato said I could have you...if I gave the audience a good show. And Catos going to take Thresh. And I think we'll let nature take care of loverboy, I like the sound of that. Now, let's get started." I pressed my arrowhead to her lips and I planned on cutting them off. "Wanna blow one last kiss to loverboy?" I teased. I smiled as she winced in pain as the first drop of blood--

I felt the heat of the cornicopia first. My eyes wildly went searching for my attacker. It was Thresh.

"You kill er?" His accent made it tough to understand him. "That little girl?"

"No, no. It wasn't me!" I exclaimed. I saw the look in his eye and lost it.

"Cato! Cato!" Terror ripped through my lungs.

"I heard yu!" I felt the pain in my head first. Then the second throw against the object was agony. Every little movemnt I made made my head ache with a new fury. I felt my body hit the soft ground, which brought over a new wave of pain. I could feel moans escaping my lips as I tried make sense of what happened. I could see a new blonde head coming towards me. Is it Peets coming to Katniss's rescue? Why didn't Cato come to mine? As the figure came closer, I could see the figure slowly morphing into Cato. He did come.

He dropped to his knees, and started crying. His teardrops were beautiful. They were shiny and pure, just like him. I would smile if I could.

"You have to stay with me, Clove. Please. Please, don't you dare die, or else I will kill myself and follow you to god knows where and KILL you..again." He was stroking my cheek. "Clover...please, just hold on. You can't leave me." He stood up again and held his hands up to the sky. "PLEASE, HELP HER! GIVE HER SOME MEDICINE!" He shouted at the sky. He collapsed beside me again, his knees not being able to hold him anywhmore. "Just tell me one thing, do you love me?" It took all my strength but I jerked my head in a way that made me want to scream, but instead, let a quiet moan out.

"I love you, too. There's no way I could ever let you go now." He jerked his head up to the sky. I could hear the rhythm of the parachute.

"Clove, just hold on a second. Your going to be okay..ill be right back. Don't you dare die." He left and he ran in the direvction of the parachute.

A wall of darkness was taking over my vision. I was trying to shake it away, for Cato. I wondered if I could ever see Cato again...maybe when he died too. When he died of old age, not in the arena. Not like how I will. I could hear Catos footsteps coming, they sounded like an earthquake in my state. My eyes could only see a small stroke of blonde running towards me. I knew he wouldn't make it to me in time. I shut my eyes, and found peace in this deadly arena.

**********************

Authors note; I'm sorry... But will he get to her in time? Will she die? Will he kill himself because of depression? So many questions. But maybe you could convince me not to kill her. Its not too late yet. Sorry for misspells, chapter writing on my phone again. Btw, one comment? :) birthdays still coming up. :p sorry if its short.