The Beginning.

I woke up, seven o'clock...as always. I rose from my bed, to put my dark hair in a ponytail. I got ready for training, to see cato, to be pressured to be my best. I searched my closet for the uniform we're required to wear. A black t-shirt with a little District Two on the back, then my name, Clove, directly under it. I also slipped in to my black jeans, they are wonderful. They have just enough stretch in them, just in case we do some long distance running or jumping. I open my door to see my older brother, Adol, who's now smirking at me. "what are you doing up this early? I thought you would be coddling your hangover somewhere where dad can't see you." I said spitefully, inhaling the scent of cheap booze from the previous night along with the perfume from his whore.

"well, baby sister, you see, I thought I would come see you before you went to go sacrifice yourself to the capitol." his green eyes glaring at me.

"I'm not sacrificing myself, I'm bringing honor to our district and family...something you obviously wouldnt know about. And anyways, I'm not volunteering until next year." I said, jutting my chin up in defiance, and bumping into his shoulder as I made my way down the stairs and into the kitchen.

I picked up a kitchen knife and sliced into an orange, inhaling the zesty scent. I instantly turned around at the sound of the fridge opening.

"dad." I said out of relief.

"Is your brother here?" his dark eyes still dreary from his sleep.

"Yes, how did you know?" taking a bite from my orange, we have an abundance of them here in district two.

"I heard the front door opening, at first, I thought it might be you, but then he tripped. Is he drunk?" clearly knowing and used to Adol's ways.

"Yes dad, he always is." I sighed. "Okay, dont worry about it. I'll take care of him later." I watched while my dad shuffled off into the living room. 7:25. I have just enough time to go suprise Cato. I ran out the door, I ran all the way to his house. I knocked on his white painted door, a tall slender blonde opened the door. In a towel. "I'm here to see Cato." I glared at the blonde.

"Oh, are you one of his little fan girls? Aw, that's so cute! but I'm afraid he's taken by mwah.'' She said scrunching up to my height, clearly fooled by my small frame, to assume I'm younger than 15.

"Ha! Don't flatter yourself honey, your only his flavour of the night. And no, I'm not one of his 'fan girls' I'm his best friend. Now get out of my way." I said angrily as I pushed past her. She stalked after me while I was heading up the stairs, on my way to Cato's bedroom. I carelessly picked up the blondes clothing off the floor and tossed them to her.

"you're free to go now." I said to her with my back turned. I turned to see if she left, she had. Smart girl. I made Catos bed for him...mainly because i didnt want to sit on what happened on the sheets. I had to wait a little bit because he was in the shower. So I decided to look at some of the trinkets on top of his dresser, one pocketwatch, one pearl necklace, and a billion of pictures of himself and his dog, Partner, his only companion, besides myself. The dog is a german shepard. I really dont see why he loves the damn dog so much....dogs are mangy, slobbery, and messy. Well, I have a phobia of animals, so I suppose thats why I think so lowly of animals. Dont get me wrong, I'm not deathly afraid of them, its just that, if I can avoid them...I will.

"Ever hear not too look into peoples personal items?" Cato said while just leaning on the frame of his door, clad in a towel. I tried hard to avert my eyes, away from his rock solid abs.

"They cant possibly be all that personal if there just simply on top of your dresser." I smirked, tossing the pocketwatch on to the dresser again.

"Ooooo! careful with that. That belonged to my dad." Cato's dad...I remember him. He died when Cato was 8 and I was 6. Hedied from heart disease, I remember his blonde hair, green eyes, and stubbly cheeks. In every memory I have of him, he was always laughing or smiling. He was a very full of life man.