The Reaping.

I fell on the bed, Cato on top of me. Still kissing me, then starting to kiss my neck, and then one inch at a time, he went to my breasts, my torso, then eventually, my hips. And now, he's slowly yanking my pants down. Are you sure? my mind asked. I need to do this, so he'll believe me, so he wont go to the games. At the cost of your virginity? my mind countered.

"Cato, stop, I'm not ready. We're not ready for this." I said aloud.

"Clove, I thought you loved me. You said you loved me for a long time. Dont you know I've been imagining for this moment my entire life?" Cato said with disbelief.

"We have all our lives together. So lets just take it slow." I'm estatic that I came to my senses before I let something like that happen!

"Okay..." He sighed, then climbed up towards me so we could sleep together. "Clove, I love you. Have a nice sleep, sweetheart." yuck, sweetheart. What a ugly pet name. The thought made me grimace.

                                                                           *   *  *

We awoke together, well, Cato woke before me. "Are you ready for the reaping?" He asked, his voice still sleepy.

"No. You just remember your promise." I reminded him. He just nodded in reply. I climbed out of my bed, and went directly to the bathroom, passing Cato. I went directly to grab the soap, and washed my hair. I scrubbed all the dirt and sweat off my body, it was suprisingly hard. Cleansing the scent of hard work from my skin. I grabbed a red-and-black towel and quickly wrapped it across my small stature. I went directly to my bedroom. Cato wasnt in there, good. I locked the door behind me. I searched through my sundays best. It has it's own specific drawer. I finally decided on a aqua colored dress with a black belt holding it in, making my tiny waist visible. I towel dried my hair, and brushed it out..I decided to leave it down. It felt weird, having my hair down. I think it is because I'm not used to having it down, its usually up for training. I never realized how heavy it is. But it's naturally straight, so all I had to do is brush it. I opened the door, finding Cato with two pairs of shirts.....my dads. One was a deep red, the other a light purple.

"Red." I said bluntly.

"Thats what I was thinking."

We made our way to the town center, where the Justice Building is. I see District Two as it is every year on this one day. Flocks of colorful dresses and skirts, a whole lot of mens dark jackets made of all kinds of material. Leather, denim, silk, etc. I stood in line, waiting to be pricked by a peacekeeper. I was finally in front of the line, it stung abit. But I didnt flinch or anything of the sort. As a student of the Training Center, you grow immune to pain, enjoy it even. I went to stand in my line, the group of 15-16 year olds. I glanced back at Cato who was now watching Sadie Bellsow click-clack onto the stage.

"Welcome! Welcome! Quiet down, Ladies and Gentleman. We are about to pick two brave souls here," her orange painted lips smiling an unnatually high smile....Mustve done some kind of work to her cheeks. "Now for the men. Let's do that this year, I suppose we'll shake it up a bit."  She shrilled. She clacked her high heels over to the fish bowls with thousands of slips, thousands of names. She reached her talon-like nails in there and grabbed a single slip out.

"Cato Veetro."  She trilled.

No. No! This wasnt supposed to happen! And nobodies going to volunteer for him because he won the choosing! Hes supposed to stay here! With me! I couldnt move. I couldnt breathe. I couldnt speak. All I could do was....watch. I saw his blonde hair shimmering in the sun and his blood-red shirt moving up to the stage. He finally reached the wooden steps of the stage. My blood ran cold. My stomach felt like it was doing summersaults. He was pale, instead of his usual tan. His eyes were darting around...looking for me I pressume.

"Congratulations Cato! You look like a big strong man. Best of luck, may the odds be ever in your favour. Now for the girls."

All the mistakes he made in the past few days were piling up in my head. Arrogance, cockiness, the tracks, how he was disarmed two years ago, how he cant run great distances....They were replaying in my head. How he could potentionally die. I have to protect him. He needs me.

"Selena Juse! Come up here, brave soul!" I remembered Selena. Cato slept with her. She wasnt smiling or laughing now. Just staring at the wooden steps, as if they could save her. Cato. I need him. I have to look after him.

"I VOLUNTEER! I VOLUNTEER! I volunteer as District Two tribute." I screamed my head off, while frantically waving my arms. I did it before Denira could. So I won. I'm in the Hunger games now. With Cato.

"Oh! It seems we have a volunteer. Come up here, young lady." I immediatley started moving...I could feel the heat of the glares of Training center. Coaches and Students alike. And I deserved them. It was Denira who was supposed to go, not me. Not this year. That wasnt the plan. I tried to avoid Catos eyes because I knew they'd have the most unforgiving glare.

"And may the odds be ever in your favor."  Sadie said clearly.