Realizing. |chapter 16|

I was back in district two, with crowds of people cheering. There were some people that were glaring at me, Lexi and Denira. Then the empty realization hit me hard in the stomach, leaving the feeling of hollowness there. If I'm here, then Catos dead. Cato died. The supiour feeling I had earlier when looking at Lexi, had dissappeared. My heart drained of all feeling, my eyes were clouding with tears.

The scene instantly changed. The crowds melted into the grey stone of the justice building and green grass sprouted in it. A doghouse arranged itself in the corner. I was in Catos back yard. I remembered it because it was a huge part of my childhood. The tears were leaving my brown eyes involuntarily. I couldn't breathe, which left me in a state of ugly gasping for air. My best friend is dead. He's gone, never to be back. Never coming back. The ground started trembling and partner came bounding out of his house. Woofing joylessly, as if he was saying "where's cato?"

"He's gone! He's never coming back! He's dead partner!" I yelled at the mutt. He whimpered in response. I felt lifeless. I wanted to run away. To never come back to district two. There were too many memories here of Cato. He was my childhood playmate. I just collapsed under pressure, my knees sort of just buckled. All the hope had just left my body. And what was left in its place was just a hollow, silent world with no bright future. No glory was going to fix it. There was a hole in my chest, I felt like I was burning from the inside. All of the faith inside me was killed today. I can't understand why my heart is so broken. The end is just beginning for me. I pounded my fists against the ground, my insides were screaming at me to calm down because people will judge me. But I had no control over myself. My nails were raking at the grass and I was screaming at the top of my lungs. My eyes were puffy from crying. I curled up in a ball, pulling my knees to my chin. I wasn't sobbing uncontrollingly anymore. I was just staring at a crack in his white-painted fence. I slowly gained the balance as I used the fence to steady myself.

I heard the howling of a wounded animal. My head whipped in the direction, giving me in the process. Then I seen a cougar draining Partner of his life. I reached towards my belt and prowled my fingers for a knife. There was nothing. There was just a leather belt. The cougar looked over at me and sprinted to me. I scaled the fence and jumped off before the cougar swiped at me with it paw. It was close to getting me but I sprang to the ground before it had the chance. I ran with as much speed as my legs would allow. I ran to a silentN dewy meadow, ducking under the fence of the border.

"Still running, Clover?" A coarse voice called. It was deep and cocky, even if rough. I recognized it immediatley. I turned around to see the cougar grinning at me. I stopped in my tracks. I slowly walked over to it. "Silly girl." Then...all I felt was darkness and pain. I felt every bit of it, the raking of razor-sharp claws in my chest, the nipping at my neck. And all I could think about is how I deserved it. I killed people for fun, hell, who knows! Maybe I even killed Cato. There was a savage part of me that vowed to come out of the arena...one way or another.

I felt the life come out of me as I took my last breath. I took sight of one last beautiful thing. The branches above me were dewy and mossy. Flashing sparkles of the branches in every which direction. The branches were replaced by blue- gray eyes. Catos eyes.

I woke up with a scream. There was searing pain stabbing at my cheek. I rose to my legs and saw Cato pushing me forward. Their was a large lump forming on his neck.

"The lake! To the lake!" He shouted. I heard screams from everywhere. Mainly Glimmers high pitched screams. My vision was blurring, a sign I was crying in my sleep or a sign that I've been poisoned. Either one as deadly. My legs were beginning to give out too. In a stroke of luck, the lake was right there. I dove in, feeling the cramping effects of the coldness of the water. The bugs were gone. I soggily walked out of the water, pulling at my stings and bites. They were everywhere. There was one on my cheek, on my arm, on my neck, on my shoulder. I seen the slightest black thing in the middle of everyone of them. I picked at them until they came out, I discovered they were the bugs stingers. I tried to tell the others but everytime I opened my mouth, flies would come out. Buzzing histarically, my fingers would constantly runover the itching of my bites. Because the bites were vibrating. Literally, viberating. I remember falling onto my back, then sinking into the earth then the earth spitting me back out as if I wasn't worthy to be inside.