Chapter 12: WHAT IS THAT AWFUL SMELL?

Handsome King Everest

(Edmund POV)

It is dawn already and the sun is starting to appear. I have sent one of my men in the palace to see if Guinevere was hiding there but he was not. Right now, we are in the middle of the forest, still tracking Guinevere down. Where could he be right now? He could not have gone too far.

I was busy gobbling the fruits I have gathered under the shade of the tree when one of the men came to me.

"Your majesty, we have searched every corner of the woods and he is nowhere to be found." He said.

"What?!!! No, find him. That is impossible. You are just not searching hard enough."
I said.

"As you wish but may we have some of your meal for us to sustain our..."

"NO! Not until you find him!!!!" I screamed.
—————
We did not find Guinevere at all so we assumed he just ran away and never came back or he died from his wounds. Nevertheless, I am still happy that he is finally gone.

I made my way to Everest's bedroom and as I came in, I saw him sitting on the side of his bed, completely naked.

I closed the door and smirked at him. Are we finally going to do it? Is he finally going to make love to me? Wow! This day could not have gone any better. First, Guinevere was gone and now, Everest and me, about to make love. I started to unbutton my shirt.

"May I ask why in heaven's name why are you naked, your majesty?" I asked seductively while approaching him slowly.

"Because I just made love to Guinevere." He responded. My jaw dropped to my toes. Did I just hear him right? Did he just say he made love to Guinevere?

"I beg your pardon?" I asked in a shocked state. He was about to say something when the bathroom door opened. My eyes grew teary from the rage, shock and sadness combined.
It is...Guinevere!!! Everest then stood in front of him as if he was protecting him.

"YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO TOUCH OR HURT HIM AGAIN!" Everest said and I was in a fit of rage. I can feel dark clouds around me.

"I should have killed you when I had the chance!!" I snarled at Guinevere.

"The truth finally came out from your own mouth. It is clear and there will be no further interrogation. You are guilty for attempting to murder Guinevere. You will be sentenced to death." Everest declared.

"Not after I kill both of you. If I cannot have you Everest, then no one else can." I sneered as I pulled out the gun and shot Everest twice on his stomach.

"EVEREST!!!" Guinevere cries and he tended to him.

"R-run!" Everest said weakly.

"I am not going to leave you." Guinevere said, in tears while Everest's head is on Guinevere's lap.

"How sweet! Fret not dear, you will both see each other...in hell." I said. I loaded the gun and prepared to shoot Guinevere when I smelled something bad.

"What the hell is that?!!!!" I exclaimed. Guinevere looked at me confused. The smell is so disgusting and pungent, that it is hurting my nostrils.

"What is that awful smell?!!" I said. The bad odor keeps getting worse until I am struggling in my breathing. Suddenly, I felt my chest tightening and me falling on the floor.

I was panting and fighting hard to breathe but there is no air anymore.

"Help...me!!" I said. "He-Help. Help."

—————
(Guinevere)

"Edmund is dead." One of the guards said.

"Thank God!" Everest exclaimed while lying on his bed. He tried to get up but I pushed him back gently.

"Hey! You have to be careful in getting up because it might rip those stitches." I said as I was sitting beside him on the bed.

"I am sorry, my love!!" He said and I blushed.

"As I have said before, he is dead but can you explain again how he died? Because there are obviously no wounds in his body." The guard said.

"Well, before he was able to shoot me, he keeps complaining about the bad scent he is..."

As I was explaining, I realized something. Could the scent that belong to the...Septem?

FLASHBACK:
"Since when I was a boy, you kept telling me that if I plant these seeds, nothing bad is going to happen. You said this will give us protection. You said this will release a scent that will send the bad luck away but none of that happened in my existence. Father still died from stroke. This is nonsense." I said but she only smiled.

"When the time comes, you will understand. Go along now."

FLASHBACK ENDS.

"Guinevere!!" The guard said sending me back to what I was saying.

"Well...he was complaining about a bad scent here and I think that is what triggered his heart attack." I said, with the purpose of not telling him about the Septem because I know that he is just not going to be convinced.

"First of all, I do not smell any bad scent here in the King's bedroom and second, I never knew that the Prime minister has a heart disease." He responded.

"For heaven's sake, will you leave us alone already and just do your stupid investigation later? We nearly got killed and this is how you are going to be?!!" Everest scolded.

"My apologies, your majesty! I will give you and Guinevere your time of rest. Excuse me." He said and with that, he left.

I am certain that the scent of Septem is what killed Edmund.

"What are you thinking about, love?" Everest asked.

"It's just that...nothing! We are going to be fine now." I said as I kissed his forehead.

I do not want to be the kind of person to be thankful that someone died but that is exactly how I feel about Edmund right now.

It is such a shame that he let his jealousy and anger consume him. We could have been good friends.