Chapter 7: GUESS WHO ARE COMING TO DINNER.

(Guinevere POV)

I was busy fixing the silverwares when Olivia startled the daylights out of me.

"NEV!!!" She said as she popped out of nowhere randomly.

"Gah!!!! For God's sake, Olivia. Stop sneaking around like that. You almost gave me a heart attack!!"

"Guess who are coming to dinner." She said.

"Who?" I curiously asked.

"It is the congressional delegation. They will have a dinner meeting tonight about the war that they are about to plan." She said.

"So it is crucial for all of us to make something special and different. King Everest will have very high expectations for us." She added. She then went outside to get something and she came back with a box of quails.

"We have to pluck its feathers, empty its organs, clean, marinate and cook it by tonight!" She said. I could not be more excited. My grandmother has taught me so many recipes of hers for cooking poultry.

This will be fantastic!
—————
After a long time of fully cleaning the quails and tying their limbs together with a cotton string, I finally took the spices out for cooking. I took the sage flowers, salt, pepper, honey and paprika.

I plucked the petals out of the flowers, before putting every ingredients on the mortar for pounding. Once, they are finely pounded. I then took a handful of the marinade and spread it all over one quail after another.

"Let us roast this already before the guests arrive." Olivia said as she lifted the tray of quails and put it inside the smoker.
—————
We finally finished and we are now preparing it for serving.

"Ready?" Olivia asked.

"Hopefully, what I did is enough to be adequate for all of them."

"We will see." She said. We both went in to serve the roasted quails to the guests.

We gently laid it down on their table so they can begin eating it. We were about to exit but King Everest then called my name.

"Guinevere!"

"Yes, your majesty!"

"Could you describe your dish for us? I heard that you were the one who made the spices for it. I am sure our guests would love to hear about your wonderful work." King Everest said with a smile.

"Of course, your highness. We roasted the quail with sage flowers, salt, pepper, honey and paprika for it to have a little bit of heat!" I stated.

"Why did you use so many contrasting ingredients?" He asked.

"I used the honey to cut down the saltiness and the sage flowers for the sweet and savory taste it naturally gives." I responded.

"Thank you, Guinevere!! You may join the others in having their supper." King Everest said.

"Thank you, your majesty." I said. I could not help but blush and as I was leaving, I saw Sir Edmund's cold stare.

—————
(Edmund POV)

Is Everest flirting with Guinevere? Is he giving me a taste of my own medicine? Because if he is, it is definitely working. I am so infuriated right now.

What infuriated me even more is the look in Guinevere's face. He is blushing and it is clearly obvious that he likes Everest.

Oh dear...Everest is mine and mine alone. No one can have him. They have to go through me first.

Guinevere is beautiful and it is possible for Everest to take an interest in him but I trust Everest enough that he is not going to cheat on me but I have to keep an eye on Guinevere. He looks trustworthy and loyal but looks can be deceiving.

I was so fixated on my thoughts that I did not notice Everest moaning.

"Mmmm, this is divinely delicious! I probably would replace venison for quail is this is how the taste is." Everest commended Guinevere's cooking.

"That young man looks versatile, eh, Everest?" One of the guests asked.

"Yes, He is. He is the one who got rid of my cough through his herbal medicine, and now this. He is more than versatile." Everest smiles.

When I saw him smile, I find it unusual. Everest never smiles like that before. He smiles while talking about Guinevere. Part of me says he is just trying to make me jealous but part of me says that the smile is genuine.

He never smiles while talking about any topic, even his own success in wars or in politics. He is smug all the time but when he is talking about Guinevere right now, he is smiling nonstop and his eyes sparkle.

What is this? Is there anything I am missing? If he likes Guinevere, how did that happen? How? So many questions are running in my mind.

This cannot be. Everest is mine. I love him and I will fight for him.