Chapter 8: I PLAY DIRTY IF I HAVE TO.

(Guinevere POV)

My relationship with King Everest has been warmer day by day. Every time Olivia asks me to deliver or send something to him. King Everest will always manage to prolong our time together and converse about random things. I cannot say I do not enjoy it but who am I to befriend the King while my fellow servants are suffering from the difficulty of their services. Yet here I am enjoying a leisure time with the King. I did try to tell him that I have work to do but every time I do that, he gives me the death glare and the face that says "Who are you to disobey the King?"

I am lower compared to him. He is a king and I am a servant. I guess King Everest just has a heart of gold and is full of humility. As a token of my appreciation , I also gave him one of the Septems that I planted in a pot in my room. He is so generous to me. I cannot blame him for that but why does he want to chat with me all the time. Why? I just don't understand.

Anyway, I am here in his office right now and he is walking me through his army's tactics for the war. He is showing me a map of his routes and he is discussing their overall plan to defeat their enemies.

I cannot believe that my fellow workers are working outside, yet here I am, receiving an education from the King.

"This area right here is where we will set up the ambush and this is our route on the way there." He said as he pointed to different parts of the map. As he was pointing to the part of the map which is their route, I noticed it was labeled, "Redgrave Rainforest". This is familiar to me.

"Your majesty, do you mean to tell me you are going to use the Redgrave Rainforest as a route?"

"Yes, why?"

"Your majesty, that forest is the home of some of the poisonous plants that produce airborne toxins. It will cause nausea for a short period of time but it will make you really weak." I stated.

He looked at me dumbfounded.

"How come you know that?" He asked me.

"Well, I used to read about plants and other branches of botany from our library's village." I said.

"Hm...I think you just gave me an idea." He responded. I looked at him confused about what he means.
—————

(Everest POV)

"Why don't we just stick with our original plan?"  Edmund said.

"I have made my decision and it is final. We are going to attract the enemies here so they will go through the Redgrave rainforest. According to one of my friend, this forest releases a poisonous gas and makes one weak. If we could  lure them here, they would somehow capture that poisonous scent which will lead to their strength deterioration, then we are going to use that as our advantage. We will attack them when they are at their weak state." I said.

Most of the members could not agree more but Edmund seemed really stubborn.

"That is too much of a risk to take!! What if does not work? What if there is no poisonous scent? Who, in God's name, told you this absurdity anyway?" He screamed and that did it for me.

"You know what? I have been here with you for almost forever but I never see you give new or intelligent suggestions for the war. You keep reusing the same idea over and over again. You are the prime minister but other members have contributed far better ideas than you. You barely open your mouth for anything and now that we can have the perfect opportunity to win the battle, you are going to contradict me. Look around, every single one are in favor of this idea. I would rather take a risk than to play it safe. Nothing happens if we play safe all the time!" I reprimanded.

"Fine." He smugly said.

That is true. I trusted Guinevere with his knowledge. Deep down, I know Guinevere is right and I know we are going to win the battle if this strategy was used.

From my previous conversations with him, my main observation is that he is very intuitive and knowledgeable about the subjects he is chatting about all the time. He has the potential of becoming someone more than what he is right now. If only he has financial support, he could go really far in life. I felt bad for him.

—————

(Edmund POV)

I cannot believe he humiliated me in front of all the high ranking officials. How can he say those things? And who is this "friend" he is talking about? Who advised him to strategize this?

I am so angry right now. I bathed in his room, opening the door roughly and I stood in front of his face.

"HOW COULD YOU?!!" I screamed.

"How could I what?" He asked obliviously.

"Don't play dumb with me now. You know exactly what I am talking about. You humiliated me in front of all the officials. Why didn't you consult me about this?!!!" I said.

"Excuse me, as far as I remember, I am the King and you are the Prime minister. Don't you think it should be the other way around?" He said in a prideful tone.

"Yes but I am the Prime minister and..."

"I am the King!!" He said smugly. I cannot believe it. I wanted to punch him so badly but I kept it calm.

"Can you at least tell me the name of who told you this strategy?" I asked politely.

"His name is none of your business!" He said and with that, he walked out.

After a while, I screamed and began throwing things around. I was having a tantrum and it took a while for me to calm down.

After my outburst, I was laying on the floor while thinking who it could be and then, it clicked. Maybe I did not have to ask him who it is. It is clear. I do not see him talking to anyone except for that snake...Guinevere. It makes sense though. Everest told us about the plants in the Redgrave rainforest and according to him, someone told him about its poisonous gas that it produce. Olivia once told me that not only is Guinevere an expert gardener, he is also very knowledgeable about plants.

Guinevere, Watch yourself now! You do not want me as your enemy. I play dirty if I have to...Even if it involves one's life.

Everest is MINE and no one else's.