Chapter Twenty Nine

I stumbled back, missing my footing on the ground and fell down. Cold stone met my back, and I clenched my eyes shut as the pain throbbed down my spine. Pushing myself gently into a sitting position, I watched the swirling blue beam fade back into the sky. The gym bag I'd been clutching was looking a little battered next to me, the strap fraying where it met the main bag.

"Are you Thor's friend?"

I jumped, and slammed a hand to my chest to try and quell my racing heart. A man appeared by my side, shirt sleeves rolled up underneath a fastened waistcoat. His beard was trimmed, framing his face in a way I recognised from an old news clip. Tony Stark.

"Yeah," I whispered, pushing myself onto my feet. I wobbled more than I anticipated, and my stomach churned as I tried to steady myself.

He rested his hand on my arm, with his other on my shoulder. "I'm Tony, one of Thor's friends told me you were coming."

I nodded slowly, still trying to get used to the feeling of being on Earth. The air felt different, but in a way I couldn't describe. I felt lost, confused, and as a twisting sensation clenched my gut, I knew I was about to be sick. "Bathroom!" I managed to choke out, clutching my hand to my mouth as Tony's dark eyes flashed with realisation.

I followed his run through a set of doors I didn't see, and grasped the bucket he thrust into my arms. I buried my head, feeling hot tears roll down my cheeks with furious speed.

I rolled my head back, kneeling down as I set the bucket a short distance from me. I saw Tony's feet walk around the edge, before his hands rubbed soothingly down my back. "He said you were pregnant."

I couldn't hold back the shaking sob as it hit me just how alone I felt without Loki next to me. I nodded at Tony, wiping the back of my hand against the line of saliva that was stuck to my chin. "I'm Dahlia." I sucked in a breath, and forced my breathing to slow down. "I don't know if I am or not. Odin, Loki's dad - well, not really his dad. Thor's dad, said I had fulfilled a prophecy about being pregnant, but they don't exactly have tests on Asgard."

Tony's eyes were wide as he listened to the story, before he pushed a breath through his cheeks. "I won't lie, I hate Loki. I do, but I will help you okay? He didn't force you into anything right?"

I sat back at his blunt confession, but told myself that it was about New York. Thor mentioned the Avengers hadn't forgiven Loki for the torment he caused, but I still felt a little put off by how rude Tony came across. "Of course he didn't force me."

He helped me to my feet, then picked my bag up. "You're the lady who was stuck as a prisoner right?"

"I only served two weeks in the prison." I muttered, before looking up to Tony's slightly amused raised brow. "I was made Loki's Carer." I added, before taking my bag back from him.

"Then he knocked you up." I followed his way down a corridor into a lift positioned half way down it.

I frowned as we waited for it to arrive, the button now lit up green on the panel at the wall. "I like to think it was a little more romantic than that."

Tony just smiled, obviously finding something funny in what I was saying. I bit my lip and looked down at the floor, my hand subconsciously lifting to cup my stomach.

"Do you want to take a test?"

I flicked my head to the right, following Tony into the large lift. "A test?"

"Pregnancy test," he pointed at my stomach. "I know for a fact my girlfriend keeps some in our bathroom. It might help you calm down a bit."

"I am calm." My cheeks flushed red.